- Grew up on various military bases because his father was in the Air Force.
- First on-air job was as a disc jockey at a country and Western radio station; reading the news on-air hooked him on broadcast journalism.
- Began his TV career in 1981 at a CBS affiliate in New York; was also a news anchor in Los Angeles and Chicago.
- Joined MSNBC in 2000.
- His knowledge of airplanes helped him land his first anchor role in 2000 when an Air France Concorde crashed near Paris.
- Has been an anchor on Weekend Today, Dateline NBC, and NBC Nightly News.
- In 2015 became the first African American to be named permanent solo anchor of a nightly newscast when he replaced Brian Williams on NBC Nightly News.
- Appeared as a newscaster in The Fugitive, Primal Fear and Miracle on 34th Street; and as himself on 30 Rock.
- Earned the nickname "Iron Pants" for not wanting to leave the anchor chair whenever there is breaking news.
- Stefan Holt — Son
- Cameron Holt — Son
- Lester D. Holt Sr. — Father
- June DeRozario Holt — Mother
- Carol Holt — Wife
- Attended California State University, Sacremento, California, United States
- Birth Name: Lester Don Holt Jr.
- Birth Place: San Francisco, California, United States
- Profession: Anchor, Actor, Reporter, Moderator
Trending TonightSee all »
This is what The Walking Dead has to do to send us into the break the right way