David Letterman will retire from The Late Show in 2015, he announced during his Thursday night show.
"I phoned [CBS President and CEO Leslie Mooves] just before the program, and I said 'Leslie, it's been great, you've been great, and the network has been great, but...
Rake star Greg Kinnear says he's nothing like his disheveled, broke, womanizing character, but executive producer Peter Tolan begs to differ.
"[On Day 1], Kinnear showed up drunk with a hooker named Tammy on his arm, claiming it was a part of his process," Tolan joked Monday at Fox's Television Critics Association winter TV previews, reading from his "journal" that also poked fun at the controversy over Girls' nudity, dining at Les Moonves' house and not ever speaking of Dads. (This, by the way, comes from the guy who previously took off his pants at a TCA panel.)
David Letterman has extended his contract to continue hosting the Late Show through 2015, CBS announced Friday.
The No. 1 broadcast network delivered a welcome jolt of energy to its day in the TCA press-tour spotlight when CBS CEO Leslie Moonves, one of network TV's most boisterous showmen and champions, took the stage Monday morning for the first time since 2005 (filling in at the last minute for entertainment president Nina Tassler, called away for a friend's funeral). Bluntly bullish on CBS's prospects for the new season ("We're confident we're going to be up this year"), Moonves credited stability as a primary factor for the network's long-term success.
"It's great to be able to renew 20 shows. It really is. ... When you can do that, it makes it easier to launch shows when you're launching them in positions that are behind successful shows. Obviously, it doesn't work all the time [RIP, Vegas and Golden Boy], but it leads to a degree of being able to win year after year." Moonves suggested the streak won't last forever, pointing to NBC's fall from grace when it couldn't find new hits to replace Friends and ER. But given the lackluster state of so much of this new fall season, it's hard to imagine any rival unseating CBS anytime soon.
CBS CEO Leslie Moonves wants to make one thing clear: The network didn't let NCIS' Cote de Pablo leave the show without putting up a fight.
"We offered Cote de Pablo a lot of money, and then we offered her even more money," Moonves told reporters at the Television Critics Association fall TV previews Monday. "We really didn't want to lose her. We love her; we think she was terrific. ... Ultimately she decided she didn't want to do the show."
Cote de Pablo exiting NCIS
De Pablo announced her exit earlier this month, one week before the show was scheduled to begin production on its upcoming 11th season. She expressed her gratitude to the show and its cast and crew and said she would return for a few episodes to end her character's story. But how could CBS lose the leading lady of the No. 1 show on television?
"It was purely her decision," Moonves continued. "NCIS was the highest-rated show on television last year. We don't like losing anybody, but we did everything humanly possible. We feel like we exhausted every opportunity, and she just decided she didn't want to do the show."
Some other highlights from Moonves' executive session....