- Was one of eight children.
- Dropped out of school in the fourth grade to farm full time; left home at 21 to begin career as a musician.
- The label "champagne music" reportedly stuck after listeners compared his music to sipping the bubbly.
- Played at President Dwight D. Eisenhower's Inaugural ball.
- Last of 1542 broadcasts of The Lawrence Welk Show was on Feb. 25, 1982; the show has flourished in repeats well into the 21st century.
- Beginning in October 2008, his show has been parodied in a recurring sketch on Saturday Night Live, with Fred Armisen portraying Welk.
- Christina Welk — Mother
- Shirley Jean Welk Fredricks — Daughter
- Fern Welk — Wife
- Donna Lee Welk Mack — Daughter
- Lawrence Welk Jr. — Son
- Ludwig Welk — Father
- Birth Place: Strasburg, North Dakota, United States
- Died: May 17, 1992
- Profession: Band leader, Accordionist, TV host
Trending TonightSee all »
The Pretty Little Liars actor says Caleb is ready to tie the knot with Hanna