In between recurring roles on hit series such as NewsRadio
and Law & Order
in the 1990s, Graham starred in a succession of short-lived shows and was even filming one, M.Y.O.B.
, when she landed her signature role as a sexy and sarcastic single mom on Gilmore Girls
. She expanded her Hollywood resume in the show's final season when she began serving as a producer. A winning combination of beauty and quirkiness, Graham brought her talents to the big screen in a number of supporting roles, including a memorably naughty turn as a sex-crazed Claus lover in the outrageous comedy Bad Santa
. In 2007, she secured a seven-figure development deal with NBC and, in 2009, was tapped for a lead role in the network's small-screen adaptation of the hit film Parenthood
. When she's not in front of the camera, Graham splits her time between Los Angeles and New York.Lauren Graham Fast Facts:
- Parents divorced when she was 5 and her father, Lawrence Graham, raised her.
- Participated in equestrian competitions in high school.
- Was in high school when she landed her first paying acting job as a pregnant teen in a Planned Parenthood training film.
- Was living with actress Connie Britton in New York City just before Britton was cast in Spin City and Graham landed a recurring role on Caroline in the City.
- Competed opposite Maura Tierney in Bravo's Celebrity Poker Showdown in 2004. Graham later replaced Tierney in the role of Sarah Braverman on NBC's Parenthood after Tierney left the show to seek treatment for cancer.
- Made Broadway debut in the revival of Guys and Dolls in February 2009.
- Lauren Graham Relationships:
- Peter Krause - Significant Other
- Chris - Half Brother
- Donna Grant - Mother
- Karen Graham - Stepmother
- Lawrence Graham - Father
- Maggie - Half Sister
- Lauren Graham Awards:
- 2001 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series - Nominee
- 2000 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series - Nominee
- 2002 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama - Nominee
- Attended New York University, New York, NY; Columbia University, Barnard College, New York, NY (BA in English); Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX (MFA in Theater, 1992)