Although she made her film debut in the little-seen Pootie Tang
, this plucky actress had much better luck with her subsequent projects. After studying at NYU's prestigious Tisch School of the Arts, she quickly found stage work, including a leading role in the campy off-Broadway musical Reefer Madness
, which was eventually turned into a TV-movie also starring Bell. The small screen ended up being her primary medium, and she had a number of guest appearances and TV-movies under her belt when she landed the title role of a teen-outcast-turned-investigator on Veronica Mars
. Although Mars
didn't fare too well in the ratings, the show developed a cult following and ran for three seasons on UPN and the CW, and Bell's portrayal of a high-school gumshoe who's wise beyond her years earned her a great deal of critical respect. She followed up that series with a reoccuring role on the NBC show Heroes
and also returned to film with parts in the raunchy comedy Forgetting Sarah Marshall
and the romantic fantasy When in Rome
. Off screen, Bell is also a vegetarian and an animal lover who has adopted three rescue dogs: Sadie, Lola and Shakes.Kristen Bell Fast Facts:
- Made her Broadway debut in 2001 in a musical version of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, playing Becky Thatcher.
- Cast in the off-Broadway show Reefer Madness in 2001, reprising the role for the film version in 2005.
- Made her small-screen debut in 2003 in the season premiere of The Shield, playing a gang member's girlfriend.
- Named by Jane magazine as one of the 11 People You'd Most Like to See Naked.
- Performed the theme song to Fame at the 2005 Emmy Awards.
- Did volunteer work at a hospital in Brazil, where she helped two women give birth.
- Owns three dogs that she rescued from animal shelters.
- Kristen Bell Relationships:
- Lincoln Bell Shepard - Daughter
- Lorelei Bell - Mother
- Dax Shepard - Husband
- Tom Bell - Father
- Kevin Mann - Ex-significant Other
- New York University, Tisch School of the Arts, New York, New York, United States