- Was a classmate of Lauren Bacall at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts.
- Served in the U.S. Navy, as a communications officer, during World War II.
- Formed one of Hollywood's first independent film companies, Bryna, in 1955.
- Helped break the Hollywood blacklist when he gave screen credit to blacklisted writer Dalton Trumbo for Spartacus (1960).
- Placed No. 36 on Entertainment Weekly's list of Greatest Movie Stars of All Time, and No. 17 on the American Film Institute's rankings of the 50 Greatest Screen Legends.
- Was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1981, the highest U.S. honor a civilian can receive.
- 1992, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1995, Oscar — Honorary Award: Winner
- 1986, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Special: Nominee
- 1957, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Winner
- 1949, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1952, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 2001, Berlin Film Festival — Lifetime Achievement (Honorary Golden Bear): Winner
- 1998, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Life Achievement Award: Winner
- 1952, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1968, Golden Globe — Cecil B. DeMille Award: Winner
- 1986, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 0, — :
- 1963, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Foreign Actor: Nominee
- 2000, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1956, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- Kaleh Danielovitch — Sister
- Anne Buydens Douglas — Wife
- Hashka Danielovitch — Sister
- Bryna Danielovitch — Mother
- Diana Douglas — Ex-wife
- Eric Douglas — Son
- Rachel Danielovitch — Sister
- Herschel Danielovitch — Father
- Siffra Danielovitch — Sister
- Joel Douglas — Son
- Michael Douglas — Son
- Peter Douglas — Son
- Pesha Danielovitch — Sister
- Tamara Danielovitch — Sister
- St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY (BA in English, 1939); American Academy of Dramatic Arts, New York, NY (1941)
- Birth Name: Issur Danielovitch
- Birth Place: Amsterdam, NY
- Profession: Actor, Producer, Author
Trending TonightSee all »
The CW's Riverdale gang is a lot like these Dawson's Creek characters
Hollywood Best! Frank Sinatra & Kirk Douglas - 4 Classic Movies Includes: Suddenly, The Man with the Golden Arm, My Dear Secretary and The Big Trees
By Bayview Entertainment/WidowmakerBuy New: $7.98
By Universal Studios Home EntertainmentBuy New: $19.96
By T & B EDITORESBuy New: $29.95