- Nicknames include KG, the Big Ticket, the Kid and the Franchise.
- Left South Carolina's Mauldin High School before his senior year after a fight between white and black students led to his arrest; charges were later dropped.
- Transferred to Chicago's Farragut Career Academy for his senior year to play for coach William Nelson, whom he had previously met at the Nike All-American camp.
- Named Mr. Basketball for South Carolina in 1994 and for Illinois in 1995.
- Named USA Today's 1995 High School Player of the Year.
- Named to Parade magazine's All-America team.
- Declared eligibility for the 1995 NBA Draft upon graduation from Farragut Career Academy.
- Drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves at the No. 5 spot behind Maryland's Joe Smith, Alabama's Antonio McDyess, and North Carolina's Jerry Stackhouse and Rasheed Wallace.
- Became the first player drafted straight out of high school since Darryl Dawkins (76ers) and Bill Willoughby (Hawks) in 1975.
- His selection out of high school started a trend: for the next 12 years, at least one high-school player was selected in every draft until the minimum-age requirement was changed in 2006 (U.S. players now have to be at least one year removed from high-school graduation).
- Starred as Wilt Chamberlain in 1996's Rebound: The Legend of Earl 'The Goat' Manigault.
- Named No. 79 on Sporting News' 100 Most Influential Athletes list in 1997.
- Named to the NBA All-Rookie Second Team.
- Eleven-time All Star.
- Led the Wolves to their first Western Conference finals and was named the NBA MVP in 2004.
- Traded from the Minnesota Timberwolves to the Boston Celtics in July 2007 for Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and Theo Ratliff, two first-round draft picks and cash in the biggest trade (7-for-1) in NBA history.
- Named 2008 NBA Defensive Player of the Year.
- Grew up as a Los Angeles Lakers fan---faced them with the Boston Celtics in the 2008 NBA Finals.
- During pregame, sits next to two empty seats to honor two teammates who died in car accidents: Eldrick Leamon (from Mauldin in 1994) and Malik Sealy (from the Timberwolves; was killed by a drunk driver in 2000 following Garnett's birthday party).
- Shirley Garnett — Mother
- Christopher McCollough — Half Brother
- Sonya — Sister
- Brandi Padilla — Wife
- Kenneth McCollough — Half Brother
- Odell McCollough — Grandfather
- Ashley — Sister
- Mary McCollough — Grandmother
- O'Lewis McCollough — Father
- O'Lewis McCollough Jr. — Half Brother
- Isaac McCollough — Half Brother
- Shammond Williams — Cousin
- Birth Name: Kevin Maurice Garnett
- Birth Place: Mauldin, SC
- Birthday: May 19, 1976, Taurus
- Profession: Pro basketball player
Trending TonightSee all »
Sterling K. Brown's story will blow your mind