Not only does this diva have the distinction of being the very first American Idol
winner, she’s also one of the most successful. With her powerhouse vocals and down-to-earth charm, Clarkson literally became an overnight sensation on Idol
in 2002. Despite an embarrassing big-screen debut in the critically lambasted movie musical Justin to Kelly
(which she was contractually obligated to star in opposite runner-up Justin Guarini), Clarkson made 2003 her year, with her best-selling debut album Thankful
spawning a number of hit singles. Her 2004 follow-up, Breakaway,
was also a smash and earned the Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Album. And she’s maintained steady success since: her albums My December
(2007) and All I Ever Wanted
(2009) were both critical and commercial hits.Kelly Clarkson Fast Facts:
- Never had a formal singing lesson.
- Held jobs at a comedy club (as a waitress), a pharmacy (an assistant), a movie theater and a zoo.
- Worked for songwriter Gerry Goffin as a vocalist after moving to L.A. to try to break into the music business.
- Moved back to Texas to regroup after her L.A. apartment building burned down.
- Winner of the first season of American Idol; runner-up was Justin Guarini.
- On the heels of her American Idol victory, her debut single, "A Moment Like This," went to No. 1 on the Billboard charts and was the best-selling single of 2002. Her debut album, Thankful, also hit No. 1.
- Kelly Clarkson Relationships:
- Brandon Blackstock - Husband
- Steve Clarkson - Father
- Alyssa Clarkson - Sister
- Jimmy Taylor - Stepfather
- Jeanne Taylor - Mother
- Jason Clarkson - Brother
- Seth Blackstock - Stepson
- Savannah Blackstock - Stepdaughter
- River Rose Blackstock - Daughter
- Kelly Clarkson Awards:
- 2011 CMT Music Awards: Collaborative Video of the Year - Nominee
- 2008 CMT Music Awards: Collaborative Video of the Year - Nominee
- 2012 Grammy: Best Pop Vocal Album - Winner
- 2005 Grammy: Best Female Pop Vocal Performance - Winner
- 2013 CMT Music Awards: Collaborative Video of the Year - Nominee
- 2005 Grammy: Best Pop Vocal Album - Winner
- 2006 People's Choice Awards: Favorite Female Musical Performer - Winner