A former child model who conveniently plays an ex-model-turned-med-student on Grey's Anatomy, Heigl started acting as a teen. Initially she focused on the big screen (My Father the Hero, Under Siege 2), but at 21 she signed on to the sci-fi TV series Roswell. After the series ended in 2002, she appeared in a number of TV-movies before striking small-screen gold on Grey's Anatomy as an emotionally overwrought doc, a turn that earned her an Emmy in 2007. That same year, she starred in the comedy Knocked Up as an ambitious career woman who gets pregnant after a one-night stand with a schlubby loser. The film turned out to be a sleeper hit, which gave her career another boost and led to her alternating between television and film roles. In 2009, she and husband Josh Kelley adopted a daughter named Nancy Leigh, and Heigl enjoys spending her downtime hanging out with her family.
- Has played a character named Isabel (or Isobel) three times: Roswell (1999), Wuthering Heights (2003) and Grey's Anatomy (2005).
- Interests include dancing, knitting, needlepoint, art and cooking.
- Beat out Alicia Silverstone for the role of Nicole in the movie My Father, the Hero.
- Became an advocate for organ donation after her brother Jason died of brain injuries in a car accident.
- Had her Los Angeles home featured on Entertainment Tonight and HGTV.
- Auditioned for ABC's Lost before she landed a lead role on Grey's Anatomy.
- Criticized her character in Knocked Up for portraying women as "humorless and uptight."
- 2007, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 2008, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Female TV Star: Winner
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Winner
- 2008, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 2010, People's Choice Awards — Favorite TV Drama Actress: Winner
- 2006, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Winner
- 2007, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- Nancy Heigl — Mother
- Paul Heigl — Father
- Josh Kelley — Husband
- Adalaide Marie Hope Kelley — Daughter
- Nancy Leigh Mi-Eun "Naleigh" Kelley — Daughter
- Jason Heigl — Brother
- Holt Heigl — Brother
- Meg — Sister
- Birth Name: Katherine Marie Heigl
- Birth Place: Washington, District of Columbia, United States
- Birthday: November 24, 1978, Sagittarius
- Profession: Actor, Model