Josh Turner Celebrity Watchlist
- Introduced to country music by his grandmother.
- Influences include Hank Williams, Randy Travis, John Anderson, Johnny Cash and Vern Gosdin.
- Made his public singing debut in church at age 5 with the song "Arky Arky."
- Developed a vocal lesion in the mid-'90s, due in part to working around chemicals in an agricultural warehouse. He had to cease singing for a year while it healed.
- Was a classmate of American Idol contestant Melinda Doolittle at Belmont University.
- Wrote breakthrough hit "Long Black Train" after listening to a Hank Williams box set while at the Belmont library.
- Released his debut full-length album, Long Black Train, in October 2003. It went on to sell more than 1 million copies.
- 2004, CMT Music Awards — Flameworthy Breakthrough Video of the Year: Nominee
- 2007, CMT Music Awards — Male Video of the Year: Nominee
- Hampton Otis Turner — Son
- Joe Turner — Father
- Carrie Turner — Sister
- Colby Lynch Turner — Son
- Karen Turner — Mother
- Crawford Marion Turner — Son
- Jennifer Ford Turner — Wife
- Matt Turner — Brother
- Belmont University, Nashville, TN (BA in Music, 2001); attended Francis Marion University, Florence, SC (1996-98)
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 6. Dancing With The Stars: Week 1
- 7. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage