This affable character actor worked in commercials, including one for fast-food chain Jack in the Box, before landing guest spots on a handful of sitcoms. He performed stand-up comedy and appeared in a number of stage productions while pursuing his dreams of screen stardom. In 2004, Garcia read for the Lost part of conman James 'Sawyer' Ford, which eventually went to Josh Holloway. However, the show's producers had recently seen Garcia on a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode in which he sells marijuana to Larry David, and decided to flesh out the part of endearing but numerically cursed castaway Hugo 'Hurley' Reyes with him in mind. Hurley went on to become one of Lost's breakout characters, and Garcia's work on the show won him ALMA Awards for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Television Series in 2006 and 2008.
- Started performing in high school, singing with the choir and acting in plays such as Fiddler on the Roof, in which he played Tevye.
- Is an alum of the Beverly Hills Playhouse.
- After relocating to Hawaii to film Lost, met girlfriend Malia Hansen when they rented houses on the same Oahu estate.
- Appeared on the Food Network series Ace of Cakes, when the bakers of Charm City Cakes created a confection to mark the 100th episode of Lost.
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Winner
- Malia Hansen — Ex-significant Other
- Bethany Leigh Shady — Significant Other
- University of California, Los Angeles, California, United States