The son of Broadway performers David and Gretchen Cryer, Jon Cryer was indoctrinated into showbiz at a young age as a child model and stage performer. Although his early success as Molly Ringwald's manic buddy Duckie in Pretty in Pink seemed to imply a wonderful future, his career stalled after a series of forgettable films. In the '90s Cryer wisely focused almost solely on television. Although four of his sitcoms flopped, he remained undaunted, and in 2003 he finally scored a hit as a pent-up single father on Two and a Half Men. That role earned him Emmy nominations four years in a row, and he finally won for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series in 2009.
- Began acting in junior high school.
- Attended Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London, England, before his senior year of high school.
- Frequently mistaken for Matthew Broderick, whom he understudied and succeeded in the off-Broadway production of Torch Song Trilogy and the Broadway play Brighton Beach Memoirs.
- Another Broderick connection occured when Cryer made his film acting debut in No Small Affair, playing a role originally intended for Broderick.
- Cowrote, produced and starred in the independent films The Pompatus of Love and Went to Coney Island on a Mission from God...Be Back in Five.
- Formed a company of mail-order home-cooked food in 1995 with his mother, Gretchen Cryer.
- 2006, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2009, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 2011, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2011, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2012, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 2008, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2010, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- Daisy — Daughter
- Robin Cryer — Sister
- David Cryer — Father
- Sarah Trigger — Ex-wife
- Lisa Joyner — Wife
- Charles Austin Cryer — Son
- Gretchen Cryer — Mother
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Place: New York, NY
- Birthday: April 16, 1965, Aries
- Profession: Actor
- User Rating:
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 2. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 3. America's Got Talent: Season 10 Premiere
- 4. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 5. Wayward Pines: Do Not Discuss Your Life Before
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'm Thinking of You All the While
- 7. I Can Do That: The Harlem Globetrotters, Penn and Teller, AiRealistic