- Earned his first royalty check for $2.41 with the 1955 single "Cry, Cry, Cry."
- First met June Carter in 1956 and introduced himself by saying "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash and I'm going to marry you someday"; 12 years later, he did.
- Was banned from the Grand Ole Opry for a spell after a 1965 incident in which he smashed the footlights.
- Won the CMA Award for Album of the Year three times (1968's Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison, 1969's Johnny Cash at San Quentin Prison, and 2003's American IV: The Man Comes Around). In 1969, he won Entertainer of the Year, Male Vocalist of the Year, Single of the Year (for "A Boy Named Sue") and Vocal Group of the Year (with June Carter Cash).
- Showcased top names on his 1969 to 1971 ABC series The Johnny Cash Show, including Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Glen Campbell, Joni Mitchell, Linda Ronstadt, James Taylor and Neil Young. The performance of another star of the era, Eric Clapton, was a highlight of a box set of Clapton's released in 2011.
- Inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1980, and into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992.
- A posthumous album, American VI: Ain't No Grave, was released in 2010, on what would have been his 78th birthday; it was promoted that year as his last album. It featured songs penned by the likes of Tom Paxton and Kris Kristofferson, whose career received a major boost from Cash's early support.
- 1968, Grammy — Best Album Notes: Winner
- 1969, Grammy — Best Male Country Vocal Performance: Winner
- 1997, Grammy — Best Country Album: Winner
- 1968, Grammy — Best Male Country Vocal Performance: Winner
- 1967, Grammy — Best Country & Western Performance Duet, Trio or Group (Vocal or Instrumental): Winner
- 1970, Grammy — Best Country Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group: Winner
- 1994, Grammy — Best Contemporary Folk Album: Winner
- 2000, Grammy — Best Male Country Vocal Performance: Winner
- 2003, Grammy — Best Short Form Music Video: Winner
- 1986, Grammy — Best Spoken Word or Non-Musical Recording: Winner
- 2007, Grammy — Best Short Form Music Video: Winner
- 1971, Golden Globe — Best Original Song - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2003, CMT Music Awards — Special Achievement Award: Winner
- 2007, CMT Music Awards — Wide Open Country Video of the Year: Nominee
- 1969, Grammy — Best Album Notes: Winner
- 2002, Grammy — Best Male Country Vocal Performance: Winner
- Tommy Cash — Brother
- Vivian Liberto — Ex-wife
- Ray Cash — Father
- Rosanne Cash — Daughter
- Roy Cash — Brother
- Carlene Carter — Stepdaughter
- John Carter Cash — Son
- Rosie Nix — Stepdaughter
- Carrie Rivers Cash — Mother
- Joanne Cash Yates — Sister
- Jack Cash — Brother
- Kathy Cash — Daughter
- Tara Cash — Daughter
- Cindy Cash — Daughter
- June Carter Cash — Wife (deceased)
- Reba Cash — Sister
Trending TonightSee all »
By Hal LeonardUsually ships in 1-2 business days Buy New: $21.84 (as of 4:44 AM UTC - more info)
By SonyUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $9.00 (as of 4:44 AM UTC - more info)
By Insight EditionsUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $30.76 (as of 4:44 AM UTC - more info)