- Spent a year teaching history at a Harlem high school before becoming an actor.
- Made his feature-film debut in Martin Scorcese's 1980 Raging Bull; worked with the director again six years later in the The Color of Money.
- First worked on Broadway as an understudy in 1984's Death of a Salesman starring Dustin Hoffman.
- Won a Theatre World Award for Best Debut Performance and an Obie Award for the play Danny in the Deep Blue Sea in 1984.
- Has appeared in numerous films by director Spike Lee (beginning with 1989's Do the Right Thing) and writer-directors Joel and Ethan Coen (beginning with 1990's Miller's Crossing).
- 2004, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 1995, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2002, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Nominee
- 1994, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1992, David di Donatello Awards — Best Foreign Actor: Winner
- 1992, Cannes Film Festival — Caméra d'Or: Winner
- 2007, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Nominee
- 1991, Cannes Film Festival — Best Actor: Winner
- 1989, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Supporting Male: Nominee
- 1994, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Director: Nominee
- 1994, Independent Spirit Awards — Best First Feature: Nominee
- 2004, Bodil Awards — Best Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1998, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Male Lead: Nominee
- Diego Turturro — Son
- Katherine Turturro — Mother
- Amedeo Turturro — Son
- Aida Turturro — Cousin
- Nicholas Turturro — Brother
- Ralph Turturro — Brother
- Katherine Borowitz — Wife
- Nicholas Turturro — Father
- State University of New York, New Paltz, NY (BS, 1978); Yale University, School of Drama, New Haven, CT (MFA in Drama, 1983)
Season 1, Episode 3
- Birth Place: Brooklyn, NY
- Birthday: February 28, 1957, Pisces
- Profession: Actor, Director, Screenwriter, Producer