John Stamos got his start with an Emmy-nominated role on General Hospital
in the early 1980s, but it was his portrayal of Uncle Jesse, a heartthrob obsessed with Elvis and hair products, on the sitcom Full House
that solidified his celebrity status. After eight seasons on the show, the Greek-American Stamos worked hard to shed his cutesy image with a variety of roles in a slew of TV-movies. In between screen gigs, Stamos tapped into his musical talents, making his Broadway debut in 1995 and playing drums for the Beach Boys. Around this time, he wed supermodel Rebecca Romijn, but the union didn't last and the pair divorced in 2005. Stamos took more active control of his career during the 2000s by producing his own vehicles, including the short-lived crime romance Thieves
and the sitcom Jake in Progress
. When the latter was canceled, he picked up a role on ER
; he stayed with the medical drama until it ended in 2009. Off screen, Stamos continues to play music and supports Project Cuddle, an organization offering crisis counseling to end child abandonment.John Stamos Fast Facts:
- Family name was shortened from Stamotopoulos.
- Nominated in 1983 for a Daytime Emmy (Outstanding Supporting Actor) for his role as Blackie Parrish on General Hospital.
- Plays guitar and drums. Occasionally tours with the Beach Boys and appeared in their video for "Kokomo" in 1988.
- Made Broadway debut in 1995 in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.
- Purchased a Disneyland sign that stood at the park's entrance for $30,700 on eBay in 2000.
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on November 16, 2009. His star is next to Dick Van Dyke's.
- John Stamos Relationships:
- Loretta Stamos - Mother
- William Stamos - Father
- Rebecca Romijn - Ex-wife
- Alaina - Sister
- Janeen - Sister