- After graduating from college, he spent a year teaching before he decided to pursue an acting career.
- Made his big-screen debut in a small role as a policeman in the 1974 thriller The Black Windmill.
- Spent two seasons with the Royal Shakespeare Company in the late 1970s.
- Had an allergic reaction to the makeup he had to wear for his role as a dwarf in The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-03).
- Though he moved on to another relationship, he refused to divorce his wife, Suzanne A.D. Wilkinson, while she underwent a long battle with Alzheimer's disease.
- Has lent his voice to numerous animated series, including Animaniacs, Batman: The Animated Series and Pinky and the Brain, as well as many video games, such as Dune 2000, Risen and various Lord of the Rings games.
- Collects vintage cars.
- 1981, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Special: Nominee
- 2003, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2002, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2001, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- Maia — Daughter
- Rhys Davies — Father
- Tom Davies — Son
- Mary Margaretta Phyllis Jones — Mother
- Ben Davies — Son
- Suzanne A.D. Wilkinson — Wife (deceased)
- Violet Colley — Aunt
- Lisa Manning — Significant Other
- University of East Anglia, Norwich, England (BA in English and History, 1966); Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London, England (1969)
Season 4, Episode 1
- Birth Place: Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
- Birthday: May 5, 1944, Taurus
- Profession: Actor, Screenwriter
- User Rating:
- Your Rating: