With his distinguished looks and wry persona, O'Hurley was a ubiquitous sitcom guest star in the '90s, appearing on countless shows, notably Seinfeld
as Elaine's cheerfully clueless boss. After graduating from college with a B.A. in theater, the dashing actor honed his craft on stage before embarking on a successful soap-opera career, but his flair for comedy landed him in prime time. Due to his high-profile Seinfeld
role and quick wit, he became a sought-after host and commercial pitchman, and also lent his distinctive timbre to animated series and radio. In 2005 O'Hurley was a contestant on the first edition of Dancing with the Stars
. The favorite to win, he lost to General Hospital
's Kelly Monaco. The decision was so controversial that the two ended up with their own dance-off special, which O'Hurley won. In 2006, he took over as the fifth host of Family Feud
, a position he held until 2010. Aside from acting work, O'Hurley has enjoyed success in music. He is a self-taught pianist and a classically trained singer, and has appeared onstage in professional productions of Chicago
(as Billy Flynn) and Spamalot
(as King Arthur).John O'Hurley Fast Facts:
- As a child, would don a bathing suit, a pretend oxygen tank and goggles to watch his favorite TV show--Sea Hunt.
- Pursued a career in public relations after college. Motivated by the death of his best friend in 1979, moved to New York to pursue acting--and scored his first job (in an off-Broadway play) two days later.
- An avid golfer, he has a single-digit handicap and plays on the Celebrity Players Tour; proposed to wife Lisa Mesloh, a Golf Channel exec, in October 2003 on the seventh hole at Pebble Beach.
- Credited partner Charlotte Jorgensen for their success in the first season of Dancing with the Stars.
- Released Peace of Our Minds, a 2005 two-CD set of his piano compositions that also feature cellist Marston Smith.
- Published his first book, It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump, in 2006.
- John O'Hurley Relationships:
- William Dylan O'Hurley - Son
- Eva La Rue - Ex-wife
- Jean O'Hurley - Mother
- Carol O'Hurley - Sister
- Lisa Mesloh - Wife
- John O'Hurley - Father
- Providence College, Providence, RI (BA in Theatre, 1976)