This versatile player began acting in regional theater as a child and continued to pursue an entertainment career after graduating college. Having played a gay man sworn off of sex in the title role of the Off-Broadway comedy Jeffrey
in 1993, Higgins found his breakthrough role in 1996, capturing the essence of David Letterman in the controversial TV-movie The Late Shift
. His uproarious turn as a flamboyant dog owner in Christopher Guest's 2000 mockumentary Best in Show
jump-started his film career, and he subsequently appeared in the director’s follow-ups A Mighty Wind
(2003) and For Your Consideration
(2006). Higgins was seen in two high-profile supporting roles in 2007, with Steve Carell in Evan Almighty
and opposite Vince Vaughn in Fred Claus
. On the small screen, Higgins has had numerous parts including recurring roles on shows such as Ally McBeal
, Arrested Development
, Raising the Bar
.John Michael Higgins Fast Facts:
- Studied literature and sang in an a cappella group at Amherst College.
- Originated the title role in Paul Rudnick's 1993 Off-Broadway comedy Jeffrey.
- Portrayed David Letterman in 1996's The Late Shift, an account of the battle between Letterman and Jay Leno to succeed Johnny Carson.
- Played Kurt, Elaine's balding boyfriend, in a 1997 Seinfeld episode.
- Earned a Drama Desk nomination as Outstanding Actor in a Play for portraying tennis legend Bill Tilden in A.R. Gurney's Big Bill in 2004.
- Featured in a series of humorous 2008 DirecTV commercials poking fun at other cable providers.
- John Michael Higgins Relationships:
- Margaret Welsh - Wife
- Maisie Higgins - Daughter
- Walter Lloyd Higgins - Son
- Amherst College, Amherst, MA (1985)