This versatile player began acting in regional theater as a child and continued to pursue an entertainment career after graduating college. Having played a gay man sworn off of sex in the title role of the Off-Broadway comedy Jeffrey in 1993, Higgins found his breakthrough role in 1996, capturing the essence of David Letterman in the controversial TV-movie The Late Shift. His uproarious turn as a flamboyant dog owner in Christopher Guest's 2000 mockumentary Best in Show jump-started his film career, and he subsequently appeared in the director’s follow-ups A Mighty Wind (2003) and For Your Consideration (2006). Higgins was seen in two high-profile supporting roles in 2007, with Steve Carell in Evan Almighty and opposite Vince Vaughn in Fred Claus. On the small screen, Higgins has had numerous parts including recurring roles on shows such as Ally McBeal, Arrested Development, Raising the Bar and Community.
- Studied literature and sang in an a cappella group at Amherst College.
- Originated the title role in Paul Rudnick's 1993 Off-Broadway comedy Jeffrey.
- Portrayed David Letterman in 1996's The Late Shift, an account of the battle between Letterman and Jay Leno to succeed Johnny Carson.
- Played Kurt, Elaine's balding boyfriend, in a 1997 Seinfeld episode.
- Earned a Drama Desk nomination as Outstanding Actor in a Play for portraying tennis legend Bill Tilden in A.R. Gurney's Big Bill in 2004.
- Featured in a series of humorous 2008 DirecTV commercials poking fun at other cable providers.
- Margaret Welsh — Wife
- Walter Lloyd Higgins — Son
- Maisie Higgins — Daughter
- Amherst College, Amherst, MA (1985)
- Birth Place: Boston, MA
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Stars Dan Stevens and Rachel Keller share what to expect