- Family name was originally Cheese but his father changed it in 1915 to Cleese upon joining the Army.
- Taught biology for two years at a preparatory school before attending Cambridge to study law.
- Performed with the Cambridge Footlights comedy group where he met future Monty Python members Graham Chapman and Eric Idle.
- Wrote and performed in the comedy revue Cambridge Circus, which played off-Broadway in New York.
- Professional writing career began with The Dick Emery Show in 1963; later wrote for the satirical sketch show The Frost Report, which also featured Terry Jones and Michael Palin.
- Cofounded Monty Python's Flying Circus in 1969; cowrote and appeared in the group's BBC series and their films, including Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Life of Brian.
- Costarred and cowrote the sitcom Fawlty Towers.
- Earned a 1988 Oscar nomination for writing A Fish Called Wanda.
- Wrote several books, including Families and How to Survive Them.
- Appeared as Q in two James Bond movies; was Nearly Headless Nick in the Harry Potter films.
- Has worked to save endangered lemurs and had a new species of lemur named for him.
- Served as a professor of comedy at Cornell University in New York.
- 1989, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1998, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1987, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Performer in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 2004, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2002, Emmy — Outstanding Non-Fiction Special (Informational): Nominee
- 1988, Oscar — Best Writing (Original Screenplay): Nominee
- 1989, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Original Screenplay: Nominee
- 1989, Writers Guild Awards — Original Screenplay: Nominee
- 1989, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actor in a Leading Role: Winner
- Alyce Faye Eichelberger — Ex-wife
- Connie Booth — Ex-wife
- Cynthia Cleese — Daughter
- Barbara Trentham — Ex-wife
- Reginald Cleese — Father
- Muriel Cleese — Mother
- Camilla Cleese — Daughter
- Jennifer Wade — Wife
- University of Cambridge, Downing College, Cambridge, England (1963)
- Birth Name: John Marwood Cleese
- Birth Place: Weston-super-Mare, England
- Profession: Actor, Writer
Trending TonightSee all »
We went to Puppy Bowl XIII to speak to the puppies directly about the allegations of certain players illegally eating adult dog food instead of puppy food, the dirtiest fouls to ever stink up the field and so much more
John Cleese: The Inspirational Life Story of John Cleese; Comedian, Public Speaker, and The Movie Star Who Helped Introduce Monty Python to the World
By CreateSpace Independent Publishing PlatformBuy New: $12.99
By A&E Home VideoBuy New: $20.45
John Cleese Live! The Alimony Tour 2011 ( John Cleese: The Alimony Tour ) [ NON-USA FORMAT, PAL, Reg.2 Import - United Kingdom ]
By CarltonBuy New: $26.99