The daughter of crooners Eddie Fisher and Connie Stevens, this loopy player made her film debut in the now-forgotten comedy Pretty Smart
opposite her sister, Tricia Leigh (who was nowhere near as famous as their half-sibling, Carrie). In the '90s, Fisher tackled a host of quirky guest spots and small big-screen parts before landing her breakout role as the self-centered buddy on Ellen DeGeneres' first eponymous sitcom. After the show ended, the attractive actress starred in a slew of short-lived sitcoms and low-rent TV-movies, and showed off her pedigree pipes on Broadway in a revival of Cabaret
. But a recurring role on Desperate Housewives
and her turn on 'Til Death
as a miserably married mom marked her return to network prime time. Off screen, Fisher is involved in many children's and AIDS charities and is an ambassador for the Dream Foundation, which grants wishes to terminally ill adults.Joely Fisher Fast Facts:
- Performed overseas for the troops with Bob Hope and her mother, Connie Stevens, during the Persian Gulf War.
- Was Miss Golden Globe in 1992.
- Got her break playing the role of Ellen's best friend Paige Clark on Ellen.
- Made her Broadway debut in 1995 in Grease, replacing Brooke Shields as Rizzo.
- Gave birth to her daughter True Harlow at her Los Angeles home.
- Named a Celebrity Ambassador for the Dream Foundation, a wish granting organization for terminally ill adults.
- Joely Fisher Relationships:
- Cameron Duddy - Stepson
- Connie Stevens - Mother
- Colin Duddy - Stepson
- Eddie Fisher - Father
- True Harlow Fisher-Duddy - Daughter
- Carrie Fisher - Half Sister
- Christopher Duddy - Husband
- Skylar Grace Fisher-Duddy - Daughter
- Todd Fisher - Half Brother
- Tricia Leigh Fisher - Sister
- Olivia Luna Fisher-Duddy - Daughter
- Joely Fisher Awards:
- 1998 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television - Nominee
- Attended University of Paris, Paris, France; attended Emerson College, Boston, MA