- Worked as a design and display artist for the Henri Bendel clothing store in New York while attending college.
- Opened his own boutique, Paraphernalia, in the 1960s.
- Broke into the film industry as a costume designer; later wrote the screenplays for Car Wash and The Wiz, among others.
- Made his feature-film directorial debut in 1981 with the Lily Tomlin comedy The Incredible Shrinking Woman.
- Directed music videos such as Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" and INXS's "Devil Inside."
- In 2008, directed the music video for "World Long Gone" by Scars on Broadway.
- Directed the 2011 film thriller Trespass, featuring Nicole Kidman and Nicolas Cage. He had directed Cage in the 2000 crime drama 8MM, and Kidman in the 1995 film Batman Forever.
- Francis Schumacher — Father
- Marian Schumacher — Mother
- Parsons School of Design, New York, NY (BA, 1965); attended the Fashion Institute of Technology, New York, NY
Trending TonightSee all »
By Charlie Rose, Inc.Usually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $24.95 (as of 9:10 PM UTC - more info)
Charlie Rose with Joe Klein; Joel Schumacher; Thomas Burke, Lisa Callahan & Adam Rogers (July 22, 1996)Usually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $24.95 (as of 9:10 PM UTC - more info)
Charlie Rose with Joel Schumacher & Andrew Lloyd-Webber; Jann S. Wenner; Joe Levy; Kevin Bacon & Nicole Kassell (December 30 , 2004)
By "Charlie Rose, Inc."Usually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $24.95 (as of 9:10 PM UTC - more info)