Few producers become household names, but J.J. Abrams isn't just any old producer. He not only created the series Felicity, Alias and Lost---he also wrote, directed and even composed music for them. The son of veteran TV producer Gerald W. Abrams, J.J. sold his first screenplay before graduating from college. After a string of films that included Regarding Henry, Forever Young and Armageddon, Abrams turned to the tube in the late '90s. A tireless multitasker, Abrams also began to delve into directing feature films, most notably Mission: Impossible III (2006) and Star Trek (2009).
- Got his first taste of show business when, at age 8, he toured Universal Studios with his grandfather. Also at 8, Abrams received a super 8mm camera and began making amateur films.
- Met Matt Reeves, his collaborator on Felicity, at a student film festival when he was 13.
- While a senior at Sarah Lawrence College, wrote his first feature-length screenplay, Taking Care of Business (1990) with Jill Mazursky, the daughter of producer-director Paul Mazursky (who produced the film).
- As Jeffrey Abrams, had small acting roles in the films Regarding Henry (1991), which he also scripted; Diabolique (1996); and Six Degrees of Separation (1993).
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series: Winner
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Winner
- 2002, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2009, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 2010, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 2017, Producers Guild Awards — Norman Felton Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television, Drama: Nominee
- 2008, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 2010, Producers Guild Awards — Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures: Nominee
- Katie McGrath — Wife
- Gerald W. Abrams — Father
- Henry Abrams — Son
- Gracie Abrams — Daughter
- Carol Abrams — Mother
- August Abrams — Son
- Attended University of Paris, Paris, France; Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY (BA)
- Birth Name: Jeffrey Jacob Abrams
- Birth Place: New York, NY
- Profession: Screenwriter, Producer, Director
Trending TonightSee all »
We went to Puppy Bowl XIII to speak to the puppies directly about the allegations of certain players illegally eating adult dog food instead of puppy food, the dirtiest fouls to ever stink up the field and so much more
By University Press of KentuckyBuy New: $40.00
By Rowman & Littlefield PublishersBuy New: $36.00
By John BlakeBuy New: $20.10