Few producers become household names, but J.J. Abrams isn't just any old producer. He not only created the series Felicity, Alias and Lost---he also wrote, directed and even composed music for them. The son of veteran TV producer Gerald W. Abrams, J.J. sold his first screenplay before graduating from college. After a string of films that included Regarding Henry, Forever Young and Armageddon, Abrams turned to the tube in the late '90s. A tireless multitasker, Abrams also began to delve into directing feature films, most notably Mission: Impossible III (2006) and Star Trek (2009).
- Got his first taste of show business when, at age 8, he toured Universal Studios with his grandfather. Also at 8, Abrams received a super 8mm camera and began making amateur films.
- Met Matt Reeves, his collaborator on Felicity, at a student film festival when he was 13.
- While a senior at Sarah Lawrence College, wrote his first feature-length screenplay, Taking Care of Business (1990) with Jill Mazursky, the daughter of producer-director Paul Mazursky (who produced the film).
- As Jeffrey Abrams, had small acting roles in the films Regarding Henry (1991), which he also scripted; Diabolique (1996); and Six Degrees of Separation (1993).
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Winner
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series: Winner
- 2002, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2009, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 2010, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 2008, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 2010, Producers Guild Awards — Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures: Nominee
- Henry Abrams — Son
- Gracie Abrams — Daughter
- Katie McGrath — Wife
- Gerald W. Abrams — Father
- Carol Abrams — Mother
- August Abrams — Son
- Attended University of Paris, Paris, France; Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY (BA)
- Birth Name: Jeffrey Jacob Abrams
- Birth Place: New York, NY
- Birthday: June 27, 1966, Cancer
- Profession: Screenwriter, Producer, Director
Trending TonightSee all »
Everyone's most recent TV obsession was the hot topic on the Emmys red carpet
By John BlakeBuy New: $20.26
By McFarlandBuy New: $29.95
By Rowman & Littlefield PublishersBuy New: $36.00