Few producers become household names, but J.J. Abrams isn't just any old producer. He not only created the series Felicity
he also wrote, directed and even composed music for them. The son of veteran TV producer Gerald W. Abrams, J.J. sold his first screenplay before graduating from college. After a string of films that included Regarding Henry
, Forever Young
, Abrams turned to the tube in the late '90s. A tireless multitasker, Abrams also began to delve into directing feature films, most notably Mission: Impossible III
(2006) and Star Trek
(2009).J.J. Abrams Fast Facts:
- Got his first taste of show business when, at age 8, he toured Universal Studios with his grandfather. Also at 8, Abrams received a super 8mm camera and began making amateur films.
- Met Matt Reeves, his collaborator on Felicity1>, at a student film festival when he was 13.
- While a senior at Sarah Lawrence College, wrote his first feature-length screenplay, Taking Care of Business (1990) with Jill Mazursky, the daughter of producer-director Paul Mazursky (who produced the film).
- As Jeffrey Abrams, had small acting roles in the films Regarding Henry (1991), which he also scripted; Diabolique (1996); and Six Degrees of Separation (1993).
- J.J. Abrams Relationships:
- Carol Abrams - Mother
- August Abrams - Son
- Katie McGrath - Wife
- Gracie Abrams - Daughter
- Gerald W. Abrams - Father
- Henry Abrams - Son
- J.J. Abrams Awards:
- 2005 Emmy: Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series - Nominee
- 2002 Emmy: Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series - Nominee
- 2010 Emmy: Outstanding Drama Series - Nominee
- 2005 Emmy: Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series - Winner
- 2005 Emmy: Outstanding Drama Series - Winner
- 2009 Emmy: Outstanding Drama Series - Nominee
- 2008 Emmy: Outstanding Drama Series - Nominee
- Attended University of Paris, Paris, France; Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY (BA)