Part of the wave of blonde teen pop stars that flooded MTV in the late '90s, Jessica Simpson initially distinguished herself with her relatively wholesome image and impressive vocal range. Her 1999 debut album Sweet Kisses
put her on the map by going platinum but it was her 2003 venture into reality TV that rocketed her to stardom. With her then husband, former 98 Degrees member Nick Lachey, Simpson starred in Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica
on MTV and it turned the dizzily adorable bride, prone to uttering ditzy gaffes, into a household name and eventually led to her big-screen debut in The Dukes of Hazzard
in 2005. However that same year, after months of media speculation that their union was on the rocks, Simpson and Lachey split up. Her follow-up films, the comedies Employee of the Month
and Blonde Ambition
, both bombed and her 2006 CD A Public Affair
wasn't well received. Her image really fell into freefall when she forgot the lyrics to a Dolly Parton song while performing at the 2006 Kennedy Center Honors that paid tribute to the country-music icon. But Dolly forgave her and when Simpson returned to her Texas roots by recording the 2008 country album Do You Know
, Parton penned the title tune and sang on the track. The press wasn't as forgiving, however, and high-profile romances with the NFL's Tony Romo and singer John Mayer kept Simpson in the tabloids' crosshairs, as did a much curvier look after some weight gain in 2009. But Simpson bounced back and turned the nasty comments into an opportunity to explore beauty in the VH1 reality series Jessica Simpsons' The Price of Beauty
.Jessica Simpson Fast Facts:
- Passed over for a part on The All New Mickey Mouse Club as a child in favor of Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.
- A minister's daughter, she made her mark singing Christian music before entering the world of pop.
- Fame came when she and husband Nick Lachey (of boy band 98 Degrees) starred in Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica (2003-05); part of the show's success derived from her "dumb blonde" comments, such as: "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but it says 'Chicken by the Sea.'"
- Successfully launched a line of women's apparel and accessories.
- Jessica Simpson Relationships:
- Joe Simpson - Father
- Tony Romo - Ex-significant Other
- Ashlee Simpson - Sister
- Nick Lachey - Ex-husband
- Tina Simpson - Mother
- Eric Johnson - Fiancé
- Ace Knute Johnson - Son
- John Mayer - Ex-significant Other
- Maxwell Drew Johnson - Daughter
- Jessica Simpson Awards:
- 2006 People's Choice Awards: Favorite Song from a Movie - Winner