Part of the wave of blonde teen pop stars that flooded MTV in the late '90s, Jessica Simpson initially distinguished herself with her relatively wholesome image and impressive vocal range. Her 1999 debut album Sweet Kisses put her on the map by going platinum but it was her 2003 venture into reality TV that rocketed her to stardom. With her then husband, former 98 Degrees member Nick Lachey, Simpson starred in Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica on MTV and it turned the dizzily adorable bride, prone to uttering ditzy gaffes, into a household name and eventually led to her big-screen debut in The Dukes of Hazzard in 2005. However that same year, after months of media speculation that their union was on the rocks, Simpson and Lachey split up. Her follow-up films, the comedies Employee of the Month and Blonde Ambition, both bombed and her 2006 CD A Public Affair wasn't well received. Her image really fell into freefall when she forgot the lyrics to a Dolly Parton song while performing at the 2006 Kennedy Center Honors that paid tribute to the country-music icon. But Dolly forgave her and when Simpson returned to her Texas roots by recording the 2008 country album Do You Know, Parton penned the title tune and sang on the track. The press wasn't as forgiving, however, and high-profile romances with the NFL's Tony Romo and singer John Mayer kept Simpson in the tabloids' crosshairs, as did a much curvier look after some weight gain in 2009. But Simpson bounced back and turned the nasty comments into an opportunity to explore beauty in the VH1 reality series Jessica Simpsons' The Price of Beauty.
- Passed over for a part on The All New Mickey Mouse Club as a child in favor of Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.
- Made her mark singing Christian music before entering the world of pop.
- Released her debut studio album, Sweet Kisses, in 1999, which included a duet, "Where Are You," with her then-boyfriend Nick Lachey.
- Became an ambassador for Operation Smile in 2003.
- Made a brief appearance at the beginning of the halftime show at Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2004, which is better known for the controversial Janet Jackson-Justin Timberlake performance that followed.
- Successfully launched a line of women's apparel and accessories.
- Signed an endorsement deal with Weight Watchers while pregnant with her daughter, Maxwell.
- 2006, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Song from a Movie: Winner
- Ace Knute Johnson — Son
- John Mayer — Ex-significant Other
- Maxwell Drew Johnson — Daughter
- Eric Johnson — Husband
- Ashlee Simpson — Sister
- Nick Lachey — Ex-husband
- Joe Simpson — Father
- Tina Simpson — Mother
- Tony Romo — Ex-significant Other