Although often noted for her sex appeal, she started out as an innocent-looking teen actress in numerous TV guest appearances as well as a regular role as a dolphin's best friend on the small-screen series Flipper. Alba segued to the big screen while still a minor, with supporting parts in Never Been Kissed and Idle Hands, both in 1999. The next year she became an instant star as a genetically enhanced messenger in the cult sci-fi series Dark Angel. While the show only lasted two seasons, it was long enough for her to become a men's-magazine favorite and get engaged to costar Michael Weatherly. In 2003 Alba made the lackluster dance movie Honey and ended her relationship. But she reemerged triumphantly in 2005 with a new beau, Cash Warren, and two leads in blockbuster features, Sin City and Fantastic Four. She married Warren in 2008, and gave birth to a daughter, Honor Marie. Active in politics (supporting Barack Obama's 2008 election) and charity (including Habitat for Humanity), she became involved in a bizarre controversy while filming in Oklahoma City in 2009. There, she pasted up posters of sharks to publicize her support of endangered species, and there was speculation she would face vandalism charges (interest in prosecution failed to materialize). She apologized, donated money to the United Way (as her "statement"---in an area not known for sharks---blocked one of their billboards) and all was forgiven.
- Is of Mexican, French and Danish descent.
- Moved frequently in the first nine years of her life due to her father's military career. Lived in Mississippi, Texas and California.
- Loved the idea of acting since she was 5. Took her first acting class at age 11.
- Appeared in commercials for Nintendo and J.C. Penney as a teen.
- Won TV GUIDE's Breakout Star of the Year award in 2000 for her turn as a genetically engineered teen fatale in James Cameron's sci-fi series Dark Angel.
- Moved on to the horror genre in 2008's The Eye, earning both praise (a Teen Choice award) and criticism (a Razzie nomination) for her performance.
- Enjoys golf and swimming, and is a PADI-certified scuba diver.
- Founded the Honest Company, which sells organic baby items.
- 2001, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama: Nominee
- 2006, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- Joshua Alba — Brother
- Cathy Alba — Mother
- Cash Warren — Husband
- Michael Weatherly — Ex-fiancé
- James Knight Newman — Godchild
- Mark Alba — Father
- Haven Garner Warren — Daughter
- Honor Marie Warren — Daughter