Her movies. Her music. Her marriages. Her magnificent rear. This Latina bombshell has many names---J.Lo, Jenny from the Block, La Lopez---and is famous for many reasons. A Bronx native, Lopez studied dance from an early age and got her first taste of the spotlight as a backup dancer on the sketch comedy series In Living Color
in the early 1990s. Acting parts on a number of short-lived series followed before she moved on to the big screen as a supporting player. Landing the title role in the 1997 biopic Selena
was what jump-started her career. Even though she lip-synched to the slain Tejano singer's voice---an ironic twist considering Lopez was on the cusp of becoming a pop star---the hot actress was praised for her performance. The next year she won critical accolades as a very sexy U.S. marshal in Out of Sight
. In 1999, with film offers rolling in, she released her first album, On the 6
, which spawned a number of hit singles. She also became a paparazzo's dream when she started stepping out with rap mogul Sean Puffy Combs in a slew of eye-catching outfits. (Remember that green Donatella Versace with the plunging neckline?) The early 2000s were busy for the diva as she made movies, albums and lots of gossip, with a quickie marriage and divorce from dancer Cris Judd, a stormy high-profile romance with Ben Affleck---which spawned the punny nickname "Bennifer" and two subpar movies (Gigli
and Jersey Girl
). On screen, Lopez was America's sweetheart, starring in a succession of romantic comedies (The Wedding Planner
, Maid in Manhattan
) even though her own love life was a mess. Then in a surprise move in 2004, she married singer Marc Anthony a few days after his divorce from his first wife became final. The couple celebrated the birth of fraternal twins in 2008. The couple split in 2011.Jennifer Lopez Fast Facts:
- First gained attention as a "fly girl" on the Fox hit In Living Color.
- Is the daughter of a computer specialist and a kindergarten teacher.
- Launched a clothing line called JLO by Jennifer Lopez in 2001.
- Also has her own production company, Nuyorican Productions, founded with former manager Benny Medina.
- Became the first actress and singer to have a movie, The Wedding Planner, and an album, J.Lo, make it to No. 1 in the same week.
- Earned $15 million for her role in 2005's Monster-in-Law, making her the highest paid Latina actress in Hollywood at the time.
- Landed on the Forbes list of the Richest 20 Women in Entertainment in 2007.
- Jennifer Lopez Relationships:
- Ben Affleck - Ex-fiancé
- Sean Combs - Ex-significant Other
- David Lopez - Father
- Guadalupe Lopez - Mother
- Leslie Lopez - Sister
- Marc Anthony - Husband (separated)
- Lynda López - Sister
- Ryan Anthony Muñiz - Stepson
- Maximilian David Muñiz - Son
- Emme Maribel Muñiz - Daughter
- Cristian Anthony Muñiz - Stepson
- Arianna - Stepdaughter
- Casper Smart - Significant Other
- Cris Judd - Ex-husband
- Ojani Noa - Ex-husband
- Jennifer Lopez Awards:
- 1998 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy - Nominee