- Won several beauty contests while studying acting in college.
- Moved from Dallas to Hollywood with first husband Paul Mansfield and worked in a movie theater as an usherette.
- After some modeling work, her movie career began with bit parts; signed a contract with Warner Bros.
- First appeared as a Playboy magazine centerfold in February 1955.
- Known for having a genius-level IQ, she also spoke five languages and played the violin.
- Positive film reviews led to a triumphant Broadway debut in the 1955 production of Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? She reprised her role of Rita Marlowe in the memorable 1957 movie version.
- Fell in love with and eventually married Hungarian actor and "Mr. Universe" winner Mickey Hargitay.
- Was the first mainstream actress in the sound era to appear completely nude on-screen, in the 1963 comedy Promises! Promises!
- Was killed instantly in a crash at age 34 while seated in the front of a car. Her three children, Mickey Jr., Zoltan and Mariska, sat in the back and sustained minor injuries.
- 1957, Golden Globe — New Star of the Year - Actress: Winner
- Paul Mansfield — Ex-husband
- Mariska Hargitay — Daughter
- Herbert William Palmer — Father
- Vera Palmer — Mother
- Jayne Marie Mansfield — Daughter
- Micklós Hargitay — Son
- Antonio Raphael Ottaviano Cimber — Son
- Mickey Hargitay — Ex-husband
- Zoltan Hargitay — Son
- Sam Brody — Significant Other
- Matt Cimber — Husband
- Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX; University of Texas, Austin, TX; University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- Birth Name: Vera Jayne Palmer
- Birth Place: Bryn Mawr, PA
- Died: June 29, 1967
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
This year, the stars wore subtle (but important) accessories.
The Sex Goddess in American Film, 1930-1965: Jean Harlow, Mae West, Lana Turner, and Jayne Mansfield
By Cambria PressBuy New: $109.99
Jayne Mansfield Collection (The Girl Can't Help It / The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw / Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?)
By 20th Century FoxBuy New: $29.95
- Buy New: $3.99