An American Idol Season 7 (2008) heartthrob, the blue-eyed, dreadlocked Castro honed his music skills playing in bands throughout high school and the first part of college. While a sophomore at Texas A&M University, Castro decided to take a break from performing and focus on his landscape-architecture studies. He continued to work on his vocal and guitar skills in his free time, and, realizing how much he missed music, decided to pursue a career as a professional musician. Having first experienced reality TV in 2006 (as a friend/love interest of Cheyenne Kimball on the MTV series Cheyenne), Castro tried out for American Idol and quickly became one of Season 7's most popular contestants. Following his fourth-place finish on the show, Jason has toured the country in support of his music and released a self-titled debut album in 2010.
- Played drums for the Dallas-based band Keeping Lions during the first part of his college career.
- Pre-American Idol, appeared in the 2006 MTV reality show Cheyenne; was featured in Cheyenne's video for "Hangin' On."
- Proposed to his wife, Mandy, on Halloween while the couple were dressed as characters from Beauty and the Beast.
- Betsy Castro — Mother
- René Castro — Father
- Madeline Emilia Castro — Daughter
- Mandy Mayhall — Wife
- Attended Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, United States