Jason Bateman---the little brother of Family Ties star Justine Bateman---made a splash on the small screen in the '80s, charming audiences as Ricky Schroder's mischievous best pal on Silver Spoons. The sitcom roles kept pouring in as he transitioned from teen to adult, but he became less visible due to the short life of his shows and his concurrent career behind the camera as a TV director. In 2003, he struck comic (if not commercial) gold as the harried head of the wacky Bluth clan on Arrested Development. Although the sitcom won critical praise, it was canceled by FOX in its third season. But Bateman had successfully renewed his own acting career. He landed supporting roles in a string of hit movies---a feat that had eluded him in the early stages of his career---including The Break Up in 2006, Juno in 2007 and Up in the Air in 2009. Off the screen, Bateman is an avid fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Began acting at the age of 10 after he went to an audition with a friend and the director asked him to read for the lead.
- Directed three episodes of The Hogan Family by age 18.
- Costarred with his sister Justine in the 1986 TV-movie Can You Feel Me Dancing? His father was the supervising producer of the project.
- After a string of roles in short-lived sitcoms, landed the lead role in FOX's critically adored, but ratings-challenged, Arrested Development in 2003.
- Found success on the big screen with supporting roles in Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004), The Break-Up (2006), Juno (2007) and Up in the Air (2009).
- Son-in-law of singer-composer Paul Anka.
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2005, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy: Winner
- 2004, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2004, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2013, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2014, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Comedy or Musical: Nominee
- 2013, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2013, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- Maple Sylvie Bateman — Daughter
- Amanda Anka — Wife
- Justine Bateman — Sister
- Francesca Nora Bateman — Daughter
- Kent Bateman — Father
- Victoria Bateman — Mother
- Birth Name: Jason Kent Bateman
- Birth Place: Rye, New York, United States
- Birthday: January 14, 1969, Capricorn
- Profession: Actor
- User Rating:
Trending TonightSee all »
- Buy New: $38.96
- Buy New: $7.02
Charlie Rose with Natan Sharansky & Nabil Fahmy; Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, Mitchell Hurwitz & Jason Bateman (February 8, 2005)
By "Charlie Rose, Inc."Buy New: $24.95
- 1. Wayward Pines: The Truth
- 2. Celebrity Family Feud: Anthony Anderson vs Toni Braxton and Monica Potter vs Curtis Stone
- 3. The Astronaut Wives Club: Launch
- 4. Beauty and the Beast: Primal Fear
- 5. The Blacklist: Lord Baltimore No. 104
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'll Remember
- 7. Game of Thrones: A Day in the Life