- As a teen, he drank beer and played country songs at the grave of Hank Williams Sr.
- Served eight years in the Marine Corps Reserves and was discharged the same week his unit was ordered to Iraq.
- Moved to Nashville where he ran a construction business before finding success in country music.
- Self-released his debut album, They Call Me Country, in 2002.
- Signed with BNA records and released The Dollar in 2005. Shortly after the release, the label dropped him, he divorced his wife, and he spent a year in seclusion to write songs.
- Cowrote George Strait's "Give It Away," which won both the ACM and CMA 2007 Song of the Year.
- In 2009, received a Best Country Album Grammy nomination for That Lonesome Song.
- 2009, CMT Music Awards — Breakthrough Video of the Year: Nominee
- Amy — Ex-wife
- Kylee Johnson — Daughter
- Attended Jacksonville State University, Jacksonville, AL
- Birth Place: Montgomery, AL
- Profession: Country-music singer, Songwriter, Reality Cast Member (Nashville)
Trending TonightSee all »
TVGuide.com editors break down theories about what's coming up on The Walking Dead