A stage-trained English actor who appeared in a plethora of TV series in his homeland before making a splash stateside as an unstable traitor who sells out the human race on the remake of Battlestar Galactica, Callis graduated from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art and promptly picked up a Jack Tinker Award for Most Promising Newcomer for his theatrical debut in Old Wicked Songs. After popping up on British TV, he made the leap to the big screen in 2001, appearing as one of the title character's confidants in Bridget Jones's Diary and also writing, codirecting and starring in the little-seen, ironically titled feature Beginner's Luck. But his luck certainly changed for the better when he landed his villainous role on the Sci Fi Channel's signature series.
- Parents own a London bed and breakfast.
- Won the London Critics Circle Jack Tinker Award for Most Promising Newcomer in 1996 for his stage debut in Old Wicked Songs, opposite Bob Hoskins.
- Made his directorial debut with the 2001 movie Beginner's Luck, about a troupe of young actors struggling to put on a production of The Tempest.
- Won acclaim as the conflicted scientist Dr. Gaius Baltar on Battlestar Galactica.
- Joined the cast of Eureka at the beginning of the fourth season as Dr. Trevor Grant, a time traveler from 1947.
- Anika Callis — Daughter
- Neha Callis — Wife
- Sacha Callis — Son
- Joshua Callis — Son
- University of York, York, England (BA in English and Related Literature, 1993); London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts, London, England (1996)
- Birth Place: London, England
- Birthday: June 4, 1971, Gemini
- Profession: Actor, Writer, Director