- Began entertainment career in his teens working as an emcee at a Brooklyn theater. Other early gigs included carnival barker and daredevil driver.
- Dubbed "The Great One" by Orson Welles.
- Inducted into the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame in 1986, but never won a competitive Emmy (though his frequent costar Art Carney won five, for The Honeymooners and The Jackie Gleason Show).
- As a composer, recorded more than 35 albums with the Jackie Gleason Orchestra, though he couldn't read music.
- Had a fascination with the paranormal and an extensive collection of books on the subject.
- A statue of Gleason as bus driver Ralph Kramden from The Honeymooners stands on Eighth Avenue outside the entrance to the Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan.
- Grandfather of actor Jason Patric.
- Trademark catchphrase "And Away We Go" appears on tombstone.
- 1955, Emmy — Best Written Comedy Material: Nominee
- 1963, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 1962, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1964, Golden Globe — Actor in a Television Series: Nominee
- 1960, Tony — Actor (Musical): Winner
- 1956, Emmy — Best Actor-Continuing Performance: Nominee
- 1954, Emmy — Best Male Star of a Regular Series: Nominee
- 1961, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1955, Emmy — Best Actor Starring in a Regular Series: Nominee
- 1953, Emmy — Best Comedian: Nominee
- 1955, Peabody — Personal Award: Winner
- Marilyn Gleason — Wife
- Genevieve Halford — Ex-wife
- Beverly McKittrick — Ex-wife
- Clemence Gleason — Brother
- Geraldine Gleason — Daughter
- Mae Kelly Gleason — Mother
- Linda Gleason — Daughter
- Herbert Gleason — Father
- Birth Name: Herbert John Gleason
- Birth Place: Brooklyn, NY
- Died: June 24, 1987
- Profession: Actor, Comedian, Composer, Producer, Writer
Trending TonightSee all »
Carl might be on his way to the Big Pudding Can in the Sky