Jackie Cooper Celebrity
- Was abandoned by his father at age 2. His mother relied on the young boy's acting salary to provide for the family.
- At age 9, became the first child actor ever to be nominated for a Best Actor Oscar for his performance in Skippy (1931).
- Managed to have a second career as a director and producer after serving with the Navy during World War II.
- Played the crusty newspaper editor Perry White in all four of the Superman films with Christopher Reeve.
- Released his autobiography, Please Don't Shoot My Dog, in 1981. The title was inspired by a threat from the Skippy director, who happened to be his uncle, that he would shoot the boy's dog if he couldn't cry during his scenes in the film.
- 1931, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1962, Emmy — Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actor in a Series: Nominee
- 1974, Emmy — Best Directing in Comedy: Winner
- 1979, Emmy — Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series: Winner
- 1961, Emmy — Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Series (Lead): Nominee
- John Cooper — Father
- Julie — Daughter
- Barbara Kraus — Wife (deceased)
- Cristina — Daughter
- Julie Leonard — Aunt
- Russell — Son
- Norman Taurog — Uncle
- Mabel Leonard Bigelow — Mother
- June Horne — Ex-wife
- John "Jack" Cooper III — Son
- Hildy Parks — Ex-wife
- Attended University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
Trending TonightSee all »
- Usually ships in 1-2 business days Buy New: $12.99 (as of 12:39 PM UTC - more info)
By ABC NewsUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $14.95 (as of 12:39 PM UTC - more info)