- Following his first audition, was told he was better suited to be a truck driver.
- Roomed with Charles Bronson at the start of their acting careers.
- Tied with Burgess Meredith for the most appearances (four) on The Twilight Zone.
- Was part of the original 1959 Broadway cast of the musical Gypsy with Ethel Merman. But because he had no singing voice, he had no solo numbers.
- Replaced Walter Matthau on Broadway during the production of The Odd Couple before playing Oscar on the TV series (and winning two Emmys for it).
- Though he and wife Brett Somers legally separated in 1974, the two never divorced.
- Slowly regained his voice following surgery for throat cancer in 1989; credits Tony Randall with helping to get his career back on track with a one-night stage performance of The Odd Couple in 1991 to benefit Randall's National Actors Theatre.
- Published the memoir Tony and Me: A Story of Friendship, which documented his relationship with Tony Randall, in 2005.
- 1971, Emmy — Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 1978, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1977, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1974, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy: Winner
- 1970, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Supporting Actor: Nominee
- 1960, Tony — Actor, Supporting or Featured (Musical): Nominee
- 1980, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1964, Emmy — Outstanding Single Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Winner
- 1972, Golden Globe — Actor in a Leading Role - Musical or Comedy Series or Television Movie: Nominee
- 1972, Emmy — Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1975, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1973, Emmy — Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 1974, Emmy — Best Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1979, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- Adam Klugman — Son
- Rose Klugman — Mother
- Maurice Klugman — Brother
- Peggy Crosby — Wife
- Brett Somers — Wife (deceased)
- Barbara Neugass — Ex-significant Other
- David Klugman — Son
- Max Klugman — Father
- Carnegie Institute of Technology, Pittsburgh, PA (1948)
- Birth Name: Jacob Joachim Klugman
- Birth Place: Philadelphia, PA
- Died: December 24, 2012
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Carl might be on his way to the Big Pudding Can in the Sky
Greg Garrison Presents The Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts: Men of the Hour: Jack Klugman and Rowan & Martin
By Guthy-Renker EntertainmentBuy New: $5.99
By Guthy-Renker VideoBuy New: $4.98