- Raised by his sharecropper grandparents.
- Made singing debut in church at age 5.
- Taught himself to play piano, organ and saxophone.
- Joined Stax Records as a backup pianist in 1964, where his first session was with Otis Redding.
- Cowrote (with David Porter) such all-time classics as "Soul Man" and "When Something Is Wrong With My Baby."
- Laid the groundwork for both disco and rap with such classic LPs as Hot Buttered Soul (1969), The Isaac Hayes Movement (1970) and Shaft (1971).
- Nicknamed "Black Moses."
- Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.
- Gave voice to South Park's Chef until 2006, when he quit after an episode criticized Scientology.
- Involved in humanitarian efforts in the West African country of Ghana; his commitment was honored by King Nene Kubi III, who bestowed a kingship on Hayes in 1992. at his coronation, Hayes was given the royal moniker Nene KateyOcansey I.
- 1972, Golden Globe — Best Original Song - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1971, Oscar — Best Achievement in Music (Song--Original for the Picture): Winner
- 1971, Grammy — Best Instrumental Arrangement: Winner
- 1972, Grammy — Best Pop Instrumental Performance by an Arranger, Composer, Orchestra and/or Choral Leader: Winner
- 1972, Golden Globe — Best Original Score - Motion Picture: Winner
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1972, BAFTA Film Awards — The Anthony Asquith Award: Nominee
- 1971, Grammy — Best Original Score Written For A Motion Picture Or A Television Special: Winner
- 1971, Oscar — Best Achievement in Music (Original Dramatic Score): Nominee
- Isaac Hayes Sr. — Father
- Willette — Sister
- Eula Hayes — Mother
- Felicia — Daughter
- Heather — Daughter
- Ike III — Son
- Adjowa Hayes — Wife
- Nana Kwadjo Hayes — Son
- Veronica — Daughter
- Mignon Harley — Ex-wife
- Birth Name: Isaac Lee Hayes Jr.
- Birth Place: Covington, TN
- Died: August 10, 2008
- Profession: Singer, Songwriter, Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Who had a funeral in the front and the back?