- Began performing at weddings and bar mitzvahs in high school before moving on to participating in rock bands while attending college in New York.
- Met husband, Taye Diggs, while both were performing in the original run of Rent on Broadway.
- Released her debut solo album, Still I Can't Be Still, in 1998.
- Suffered cracked ribs from a fall through a trap door the day before what was slated to be her last Broadway performance as Elphaba in Wicked. Unable to perform the show, she came on stage at the end of the night to sing her last song, receiving a five-minute ovation.
- Continues to train with the same voice coach she has studied with since college.
- 1996, Tony — Actress (Featured Role--Musical): Nominee
- 2004, Tony — Actress (Musical): Winner
- 2006, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- 2014, Tony — Actress (Musical): Nominee
- Walker Nathaniel Diggs — Son
- Aaron Lohr — Fiancé
- Cara — Sister
- Taye Diggs — Ex-husband
- Stuart Mentzel — Father
- Helene Mentzel — Mother
- New York University, Tisch School of the Arts, New York, New York, United States (BFA in Drama, 1993)
- Birth Name: Idina Kim Mentzel
- Birth Place: Syosset, New York, United States
- Birthday: May 30, 1971, Gemini
- Profession: Actor, Singer
Trending TonightSee all »
Sullivan Stapleton really, really likes a CBS sitcom.