- Was introduced to acting by his uncle, and noted that each performance he gave was "like repaying him a debt."
- Worked under the stage name Don Sturdy in the early days of his career.
- Performed with the improv group the Committee in the late 1960s and early '70s, along with Rob Reiner and The Bob Newhart Show's Peter Bonerz.
- Portrayal of drama teacher Howard Johnson in the movie Billy Jack (1971) is considered by many to be his break-out role.
- Worked as a disc jockey at San Francisco's underground radio station KMPX several years prior to his role as the anti-disco DJ Dr. Johnny Fever on WKRP in Cincinnati.
- In keeping with his counterculture image, guest starred in NBC's ER in 2007 as a man under the psychedelic influence of magic mushrooms.
- 1981, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy, Variety or Music Series: Nominee
- 1980, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy, Variety or Music Series: Nominee
- Caroline Ducrocq — Wife
- Edna Forster — Mother
- George Henry Hesseman — Father
- Attended University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
Trending TonightSee all »
By HBO StudiosNot yet released Buy New: $39.96 (as of 3:14 AM UTC - more info)
- Usually ships in 1-2 business days Buy New: $0.00 (as of 3:14 AM UTC - more info)
- Usually ships in 1-2 business days Buy New: $2.99 (as of 3:14 AM UTC - more info)