- Made his New York stage debut in the role of a cleaning lady in Andy Warhol's off-Broadway play Pork.
- Wrote and starred in Torch Song Trilogy, an autobiographical play about a man struggling with his sexual identity.
- Narrated a 1984 documentary about the life, career and murder of openly gay politician Harvey Milk.
- Created the role of effusive plump matriarch Edna Turnblad in the Broadway musical Hairspray (a stage adaptation of John Waters' 1988 silver-screen satire of the 1960s). Returned to the role in 2008 for the show's final performances.
- Is an outspoken activist for gay rights.
- 1984, Tony — Book (Musical): Winner
- 1983, Tony — Play: Winner
- 2012, Tony — Book of a Musical: Nominee
- 2013, Tony — Book of a Musical: Nominee
- 2014, Tony — Play: Nominee
- 1989, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Male Lead: Nominee
- 1992, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1983, Tony — Actor (Play): Winner
- 2003, Tony — Actor (Musical): Winner
- Ronald Fierstein — Brother
- Bruce Bibby — Ex-significant Other
- Irving Fierstein — Father
- Jacqueline Harriet Fierstein — Mother
- Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY
- Birth Name: Harvey Forbes Fierstein
- Birth Place: Bensonhurst, NY
- Profession: Actor, Playwright
Trending TonightSee all »
Here's how everything changed in "Chapter 6"