- Began dancing professionally at 3 and was trained by renowned tap-dance choreographer Henry LeTang.
- Made his Broadway debut in The Girl in the Pink Tights at 8 years old.
- Started a jazz-rock band called Severance in 1974.
- In 1981 made his movie debut in History of the World---Part I.
- Released an album called Gregory Hines in 1987.
- Took part in the successful 1988 campaign for National Tap Dance Day, which is celebrated on May 25th (William "Bojangles" Robinson's birth date).
- Won a Daytime Emmy Award in 1999 for his role on the animated series Little Bill.
- Served as a runway model for designer Yohji Yamamoto.
- Won two NAACP Image Awards for acting: one in 1988 for the film Running Scared and the second one in 2002 for the TV movie Bojangles.
- 2001, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Nominee
- 2001, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 1979, Tony — Actor (Featured Role--Musical): Nominee
- 1981, Tony — Actor (Musical): Nominee
- 1982, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Achievement – Special Class: Nominee
- 1992, Tony — Choreographer: Nominee
- 1985, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 1980, Tony — Actor (Musical): Nominee
- 1989, Emmy — Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Program: Nominee
- 1992, Tony — Actor (Musical): Winner
- Zachary Hines — Son
- Alma Hines — Mother
- Maurice Hines Jr. — Brother
- Daria Hines — Daughter
- Negrita Jayde — Fiancée
- Patricia Panella — Ex-wife
- Pamela Koslow — Ex-wife
- Maurice Robert Hines Sr. — Father
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: Gregory Oliver Hines
- Birth Place: New York, New York, United States
- Died: August 9, 2003
- Profession: Dancer, Singer, Choreographer, Actor, Director
Trending TonightSee all »
The CW's Riverdale gang is a lot like these Dawson's Creek characters