- Once sang for a Scottish rock band named Speed.
- After training for almost two years at a top Scottish law firm, he was fired in 1995 for his hard-partying ways and lack of interest in actually practicing law.
- First big-screen role came with the 1997 historical drama Mrs. Brown.
- Was awarded a Certificate of Bravery from the Royal Humane Society while filming Mrs. Brown, after he saved a boy from drowning in the River Tay in the Scottish Highlands.
- Was considered a top contender to become the next James Bond before Pierce Brosnan decided to return for 2002's Die Another Day.
- Won the lead role in Joel Schumacher's adaptation of The Phantom of the Opera (2004) despite his limited singing experience.
- His charity work includes involvement with the organizations Kids Kicking Cancer and Artists for Peace and Justice.
- Brian Butler — Brother
- Eileen Catterson — Cousin
- Margaret — Mother
- Alex Coll — Stepfather
- Lynn Butler — Sister
- Madalina Ghenea — Significant Other
- Edward Butler — Father
- Claire Catterson — Cousin
- University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland
- Birth Name: Gerard James Butler
- Birth Place: Glasgow, Scotland
- Birthday: November 13, 1969, Scorpio
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
The Pretty Little Liars star and creator recall their wildest -- and sometimes incredilbly uncomfortable -- encounters with fans