George Lopez Celebrity
This beloved, Mexican-American comic played the stand-up circuit for well over a decade before landing his ABC sitcom George Lopez in 2002. (It helped that he had movie star Sandra Bullock as his champion and executive producer.) As the show's co-creator,… (more)
Birth Name: George C. Lopez
Birth Place: Mission Hills, CA
Birthday: April 23, 1961, Taurus
Profession: Comedian, TV host, Actor
This beloved, Mexican-American comic played the stand-up circuit for well over a decade before landing his ABC sitcom George Lopez in 2002. (It helped that he had movie star Sandra Bullock as his champion and executive producer.) As the show's co-creator, writer, producer and star, Lopez was able to showcase his idiosyncratic point of view, impeccable comedic timing and Latino pride. The series became a surprise hit, and he became very popular. While his sitcom continued filming, he pursued other outlets for his stand-up comedy. He performed highly-rated stand-up TV specials, and earned Grammy nominations for Best Comedy Album for El Mas Chingon (2004) and Team Leader (2006). He continued touring, penned an autobiography, and pursued his avid interest in golf. In 2005, the tireless comedian took a break in order to undergo a kidney transplant. After his wife served as his organ donor, the couple became spokespersons for the National Kidney Foundation. He returned to work, but suffered a blow when George Lopez went off the air in 2007. He bounced back from the obstacle, and a full slate of projects kept him in the spotlight. His first solo HBO special, George Lopez: America's Mexican, won wide acclaim and the live recording of his second solo HBO special, Tall, Dark & Chicano (which aired in 2009) garnered him another Grammy nomination for Best Comedy Album. Film roles also kept him occupied and he appeared in such movies as Balls of Fury (2007) and Swing Vote (2008). In 2009, he returned to television to host a late-night TBS talk show, Lopez Tonight. The career move proved once again how influential and groundbreaking an entertainer he continues to be.
- Worked as a DJ on MEGA 92.3 in Los Angeles.
- Stand-up albums include Right Now Right Now, Team Leader and Alien Nation.
- Was discovered when Sandra Bullock approached him to star in a Latino-based TV series she wanted to produce. She guest-starred on the ABC sitcom, George Lopez, as his accident-prone coworker, Amy.
- Published a 2004 autobiography, Why You Crying?.
- Founded the George & Ann Lopez-Richie Alarcón CARE Foundation, which provides resources for education.
- Engaged in public feuds with two other comedians: He accused Carlos Mencia of stealing his material and Jay Leno of not inviting Lopez on his show more frequently.
- Ann Serrano Lopez — Ex-wife
- Mayan — Daughter
Trending TonightSee all »
- Usually ships in 1-2 business days Buy New: $19.99 (as of 12:57 PM UTC - more info)
By ParamountUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $9.96 (as of 12:57 PM UTC - more info)
- Usually ships in 1-2 business days Buy New: $7.99 (as of 12:57 PM UTC - more info)