George Burns Celebrity Watchlist
- Ninth of 12 children.
- His father, a part-time cantor, died when George was 7.
- Left school in the fourth grade to go into show business.
- Met Gracie Allen in 1923 and began performing with her.
- Originally played the comedian to Gracie's "straight man," but changed the routine around once it was clear Gracie was getting the bigger laughs.
- The duo starred in a weekly radio show from 1932 until '50, then starred in TV's The Burns and Allen Show from 1950 until '58, when she retired.
- Immersed himself in work after Gracie died in 1964.
- He was 80 when he won a supporting-actor Oscar for The Sunshine Boys.
- Inducted into the TV Academy Hall of Fame in 1988; was a Kennedy Center honoree that same year.
- 1990, Grammy — Best Spoken Word or Non-Musical Recording: Winner
- 1990, Emmy — Outstanding Performance in Informational Programming: Winner
- 1984, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 1976, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Winner
- 1978, Emmy — Outstanding Special - Comedy-Variety or Music: Nominee
- 1975, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 1994, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Life Achievement Award: Winner
- Gracie Allen — Wife (deceased)
- Sandra Jean Luckman — Daughter
- Ronald Jon Burns — Son
- Hannah Siegel — Ex-wife
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 6. Dancing With The Stars: Week 1
- 7. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage