- Ran the Gene Kelly School of Dance in Pittsburgh in 1935.
- Made film debut opposite Judy Garland in For Me and My Gal in 1942.
- Missed out on opportunities to star in the film versions of Guys and Dolls, Pal Joey (a role he originated on Broadway) and Sunset Boulevard because MGM refused to loan him out to other studios.
- His second wife, Jeanne Coyne, was previously married to Stanley Donen, who co-directed three films with Kelly (It's Always Fair Weather, On the Town and Singin' in the Rain).
- Created an original ballet for the Paris Opera in 1960.
- Ranked No. 42 on Entertainment Weekly magazine's list of Greatest Movie Stars of All Time, and No. 15 on the American Film Institute's list of 50 Greatest Screen Legends.
- 1981, Golden Globe — Cecil B. DeMille Award: Winner
- 1966, Emmy — Special Classifications of Individual Achievements: Nominee
- 1967, Emmy — Outstanding Children's Program: Winner
- 1959, Emmy — Best Choreography for Television: Nominee
- 1945, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1958, Golden Globe — Promoting International Understanding: Winner
- 1951, Oscar — Honorary Award: Winner
- 1952, Directors Guild of America Awards — Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film: Nominee
- 1952, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1970, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1956, Berlin Film Festival — Golden Bear: Winner
- 1969, Directors Guild of America Awards — Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film: Nominee
- 1988, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Life Achievement Award: Winner
- Bridget Kelly — Daughter
- Louise Kelly Bailey — Sister
- Fredric N. Kelly — Brother
- Harriet Curran Kelly — Mother
- James Kelly — Brother
- Jeanne Coyne — Wife (deceased)
- Patricia Ward Kelly — Wife
- Betsy Blair — Ex-wife
- James Patrick Joseph Kelly — Father
- Kerry Kelly — Daughter
- Timothy Kelly — Son
- Harriet Joan Kelly Radvansky — Sister
- Attended Penn State University, University Park, PA; University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA (degree in Economics, 1933)
- Birth Name: Eugene Curran Kelly
- Birth Place: Pittsburgh, PA
- Birthday: August 23, 1912, Leo
- Died: February 2, 1996
- Profession: Actor, Singer, Dancer, Choreographer, Director, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
Grey's Anatomy is obviously a big influence on Tay Tay
The Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly Collection (On the Town / Anchors Aweigh / Take Me out to the Ball Game)
By Warner Home VideoBuy New: $39.99
By CreateSpace Independent Publishing PlatformBuy New: $6.99
By Warner Home VideoBuy New: $12.49