- Ran the Gene Kelly School of Dance in Pittsburgh in 1935.
- Made film debut opposite Judy Garland in For Me and My Gal in 1942.
- Missed out on opportunities to star in the film versions of Guys and Dolls, Pal Joey (a role he originated on Broadway) and Sunset Boulevard because MGM refused to loan him out to other studios.
- His second wife, Jeanne Coyne, was previously married to Stanley Donen, who co-directed three films with Kelly (It's Always Fair Weather, On the Town and Singin' in the Rain).
- Created an original ballet for the Paris Opera in 1960.
- Ranked No. 42 on Entertainment Weekly magazine's list of Greatest Movie Stars of All Time, and No. 15 on the American Film Institute's list of 50 Greatest Screen Legends.
- 1981, Golden Globe — Cecil B. DeMille Award: Winner
- 1958, Golden Globe — Promoting International Understanding: Winner
- 1959, Emmy — Best Choreography for Television: Nominee
- 1951, Oscar — Honorary Award: Winner
- 1952, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1970, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1969, Directors Guild of America Awards — Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film: Nominee
- 1966, Emmy — Special Classifications of Individual Achievements: Nominee
- 1945, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1988, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Life Achievement Award: Winner
- 1952, Directors Guild of America Awards — Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film: Nominee
- 1956, Berlin Film Festival — Golden Bear: Winner
- 1967, Emmy — Outstanding Children's Program: Winner
- Louise Kelly Bailey — Sister
- Fredric N. Kelly — Brother
- Harriet Curran Kelly — Mother
- Betsy Blair — Ex-wife
- Harriet Joan Kelly Radvansky — Sister
- James Patrick Joseph Kelly — Father
- Kerry Kelly — Daughter
- Timothy Kelly — Son
- James Kelly — Brother
- Jeanne Coyne — Wife (deceased)
- Patricia Ward Kelly — Wife
- Bridget Kelly — Daughter
- Attended Penn State University, University Park, PA; University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA (degree in Economics, 1933)
- Birth Name: Eugene Curran Kelly
- Birth Place: Pittsburgh, PA
- Birthday: August 23, 1912, Leo
- Died: February 2, 1996
- Profession: Actor, Singer, Dancer, Choreographer, Director, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
Everyone's most recent TV obsession was the hot topic on the Emmys red carpet