- Ran the Gene Kelly School of Dance in Pittsburgh in 1935.
- Made film debut opposite Judy Garland in For Me and My Gal in 1942.
- Missed out on opportunities to star in the film versions of Guys and Dolls, Pal Joey (a role he originated on Broadway) and Sunset Boulevard because MGM refused to loan him out to other studios.
- His second wife, Jeanne Coyne, was previously married to Stanley Donen, who co-directed three films with Kelly (It's Always Fair Weather, On the Town and Singin' in the Rain).
- Created an original ballet for the Paris Opera in 1960.
- Ranked No. 42 on Entertainment Weekly magazine's list of Greatest Movie Stars of All Time, and No. 15 on the American Film Institute's list of 50 Greatest Screen Legends.
- 1970, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1967, Emmy — Outstanding Children's Program: Winner
- 1988, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Life Achievement Award: Winner
- 1981, Golden Globe — Cecil B. DeMille Award: Winner
- 1952, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1951, Oscar — Honorary Award: Winner
- 1945, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1952, Directors Guild of America Awards — Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film: Nominee
- 1966, Emmy — Special Classifications of Individual Achievements: Nominee
- 1958, Golden Globe — Promoting International Understanding: Winner
- 1969, Directors Guild of America Awards — Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film: Nominee
- 1956, Berlin Film Festival — Golden Bear: Winner
- 1959, Emmy — Best Choreography for Television: Nominee
- Louise Kelly Bailey — Sister
- Harriet Joan Kelly Radvansky — Sister
- James Patrick Joseph Kelly — Father
- Kerry Kelly — Daughter
- Timothy Kelly — Son
- Fredric N. Kelly — Brother
- Harriet Curran Kelly — Mother
- Bridget Kelly — Daughter
- Betsy Blair — Ex-wife
- James Kelly — Brother
- Jeanne Coyne — Wife (deceased)
- Patricia Ward Kelly — Wife
- Attended Penn State University, University Park, Peensylvania, United States; University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States (1933)
- Birth Name: Eugene Curran Kelly
- Birth Place: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
- Died: February 2, 1996
- Profession: Actor, Singer, Dancer, Choreographer, Director, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
Once Upon a Time, Doctor Who and more
By CreateSpace Independent Publishing PlatformBuy New: $6.99
4 Film Favorites: Gene Kelly (For Me and My Gal, Invitation to the Dance (1956), On the Town (Sinatra Tribute), Summer Stock)
By Warner Home VideoBuy New: $11.39
By Warner Home VideoBuy New: $14.14