This statuesque actress initially began her career in her early twenties as a fashion model. In 1982, she debuted on the silver screen in Tootsie, showcasing her model looks and acting finesse in the role of a zany soap opera star. Into the late 80s, she built up a steady repertoire of parts in comedies and dramas, impressing with performances in The Fly (1986), The Accidental Tourist (1988), and Earth Girls Are Easy (1988). She was busy off-screen as well, marrying The Fly co-star Jeff Goldblum. Though the union fizzled a few years later, she won a prominent place in Hollywood with two high-profile films. First, she captivated audiences as a housewife-on-the-run opposite Susan Sarandon in the revolutionary Thelma & Louise (1991). Next, she charmed in the warm-hearted baseball flick A League of their Own (1991) Stardom continued to follow her until the mid-'90s when her new spouse, Renny Harlin, directed her in two bloated action movies (The Long Kiss Goodnight and Cutthroat Island). The films both flopped, as did the couple's marriage. Finding a new focus in her forties, Davis took up athletics and acquired a fourth husband, Dr. Reza Jarrahy. The pair settled into family life with the birth of their children. Meanwhile, she continued to work, trying her hand at television with a short-lived ABC sitcom The Geena Davis Show. In 2006, her second attempt at a series, Commander in Chief, had her playing the groundbreaking role of the first female President of the United States. The show thrust her back into the spotlight and earned her a Golden Globe, but it had trouble finding an audience and was canceled after one season. She spends her time these days enjoying domesticity, acting opportunities, and her non-profit organization, the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media.
- Was an exchange student in Sweden during her senior year of high school.
- Member of Mensa with an IQ reportedly over 140.
- Director Sydney Pollack cast her in 1982's Tootsie after seeing her in a Victoria's Secret catalogue.
- Costarred in three movies with ex-husband Jeff Goldblum: Transylvania 6-5000, The Fly and Earth Girls Are Easy.
- She's Hollywood's straightest arrow, the quip goes, because she tried out for the U.S. archery team at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. She came in 24th out of 28 women in a qualifying competition.
- Founded the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, which seeks to improve the portrayal and visibility of girls and women in media.
- 1991, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1993, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 2006, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2006, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama: Winner
- 1992, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 1991, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1995, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1988, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Winner
- Jeff Goldblum — Ex-husband
- Kaiis Steven Jarrahy — Son
- Richard Emmolo — Ex-husband
- Lucille Davis — Mother
- Dan Davis — Brother
- William Davis — Father
- Renny Harlin — Ex-husband
- Reza Jarrahy — Husband
- Alizeh Keshvar Jarrahy — Daughter
- Kian William Jarrahy — Son
- Attended New England College, Henniker, NH; Boston University, Boston, MA (BFA in Drama, 1979)
- Birth Name: Virginia Elizabeth Davis
- Birth Place: Wareham, MA
- Birthday: January 21, 1956, Aquarius
- Profession: Actor, Producer, Writer, Model
- User Rating:
Trending TonightSee all »
By Rabbit Ears EntertainmentBuy New: $9.95
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Wayward Pines: Do Not Discuss Your Life Before
- 5. The Vampire Diaries: I'm Thinking of You All the While
- 6. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 7. The Voice: Live Finale, Part 2