- Worked as a roadsweeper as a young man.
- Won a Fringe First award at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 1978 as part theater group Easterhouse.
- Only committed himself to acting at the age of 32 when he joined Robert Carlyle's Raindog Theater.
- Got his role in Gangs Of New York when Martin Scorsese was impressed by his performance in Billy Elliot.
- 2000, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2001, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- Maarten Stevenson — Son
- Kate — Significant Other
- Glasgow College of Technology, Glasgow, Scotland (BA in Social Sciences, 1983)
Season 2, Episode 8
- Birth Name: Gary Stevenson
- Birth Place: Glasgow, Scotland
- Birthday: November 30, 1958, Sagittarius
- Profession: Actor