Best known as the lovable bald schlub who won Charlotte's heart on the hit HBO series Sex and the City
, Handler began his acting education at the prestigious Juilliard School, but left when he landed his first big-screen role in the 1981 film Taps
. Soon after leaving Julliard, he scored numerous leading roles in Broadway and off-Broadway stage productions. At age 24, he was understudying Matthew Broderick in Biloxi Blues
on Broadway when he was diagnosed with supposedly incurable leukemia. After a five-year battle, the actor emerged cancer-free and turned his harrowing story into the acclaimed autobiographical solo show Time on Fire
, which he subsequently adapted into a memoir. In the '90s, Handler picked up where his career left off with only a few bumps in the road — he quit the 1991 Broadway show I Hate Hamlet
in mid-performance after his erratic costar Nicol Williamson struck him with a sword. After roles in the flicks Natural Born Killers
(1994) and Ransom
(1996), he moved to the small screen. In 1999, he landed a part on the short-lived ABC sitcom It's Like, You Know
which led to his being cast the next year as Larry Fine in the made-for-TV biopic The Three Stooges
. In the '00s, he was all over the small screen. He enjoyed a recurring role on Aaron Sorkin's The West Wing
, wooed Charlotte as divorce lawyer Harry Goldenblatt in Sex and the City
, portrayed a disgruntled writer on NBC's Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
and was cast as literary agent Charlie Runkle on Showtime's Californication
. In 2008, he published his second book, It's Only Temporary: The Good News and the Bad News of Being Alive
, and reprised his Sex and the City
role for the widely successful 2008 film adaptation of the series and its sequel in 2010. Off-screen, he spends time with his wife, Elisa, an Italian chemist, and his daughter, Sofia. He also pursues an avid interest in writing and regularly contributes articles to numerous magazines.Evan Handler Fast Facts:
- Launched acting career as an intern at the Chelsea Theatre Center in New York City.
- Starred as Larry Fine in the 2000 TV-movie The Three Stooges.
- Wrote the solo show Time on Fire and the book Time on Fire: My Comedy of Terrors, both autobiographical works about his battle with leukemia.
- Has contributed articles to numerous magazines, including The New Yorker, Elle, Mirabella and O, the Oprah Magazine.
- Released a collection of autobiographical essays, It's Only Temporary: The Good News and the Bad News of Being Alive, in 2008.
- Portrayed divorce lawyer Harry Goldenblatt in the HBO series Sex and the City for three seasons, then reprised the role for the 2008 movie and its 2010 sequel.
- Evan Handler Relationships:
- Elisa Atti - Wife
- Lillian Handler - Sister
- Murry Handler - Father
- Enid Handler - Mother
- Lowell Handler - Brother
- Sofia - Daughter
- Attended The Juilliard School, New York, NY