- Took on her first job at age 8 as a towel girl at a local swimming pool.
- Was a champion swimmer, and qualified for the 1940 U.S. Olympic team, though the games were canceled when WWII broke out.
- Broke into show business opposite Johnny Weismuller in the San Francisco Aquacade, an aquatic-themed stage musical review.
- Has had successful licensing agreements for a number of products, lending her own brand name to swimming pools and swimsuits.
- Retired from film in the early '60s at the insistence of her then-husband Fernando Lamas.
- Wrote her autobiography, Million Dollar Mermaid, in 1999 with co-author Digby Diehl.
- 1956, Golden Globe — Hollywood Citizenship Award: Winner
- 1952, Golden Globe — Henrietta Award (World Film Favorites): Winner
- Bula Williams — Mother
- Maureen Williams — Sister
- Jeff Chandler — Ex-significant Other
- Leonard Kovner — Ex-husband
- Fernando Lamas — Husband (deceased)
- Anthony Bell — Stepson
- Lou Williams — Father
- Stanton Williams — Brother
- Victor Mature — Ex-significant Other
- Edward Bell — Husband
- Benjamin Stanton Gage — Son
- Susan Gage Woodward — Daughter
- Ben Gage — Ex-husband
- Kimball Austin Gage — Son
- Lorenzo Lamas — Stepson
- Tima Alexander Bell — Stepson
- Attended Los Angeles City College, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Birth Name: Esther Jane Williams
- Birth Place: Inglewood, California, United States
- Died: June 6, 2013
- Profession: Actor, Athlete
Trending TonightSee all »
The Bones series finale!
TCM Spotlight: Esther Williams, Volume One (Bathing Beauty / Easy to Wed / On an Island with You / Neptune's Daughter / Dangerous When Wet)
By WarnerBrothersBuy New: $22.47
By Turner Classic MovieBuy New: $11.44
By Paper Studio PressBuy New: $12.00