Esther Rolle Celebrity Watchlist
- Began her career as a dancer with the Shogola Obola Dance Company.
- In 1962, made her New York stage debut in an off-Broadway production of Jean Genet's The Blacks.
- One of the founding members of the Negro Ensemble Company.
- Breakthrough role came in 1972 when Norman Lear cast her as Florida Evans on the CBS sitcom Maude; her character was so popular that she was soon spun off onto her own show, Good Times, which focused on Evans' family.
- Was an honorary chairwoman for the President's Committee on the Employment of the Handicapped.
- 1975, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1979, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Special: Winner
- Jonathan Rolle — Father
- Oscar Robinson — Ex-husband
- Elizabeth Rolle — Mother
- Estelle Evans — Sister
- Rosanna Carter — Sister
- Attended Hunter College, New York, NY; attended the New School for Social Research, New York, NY; Spelman College, Atlanta, GA (1942)
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage
- 6. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 7. The Blacklist: The Longevity Initiative