- Was the cinematographer for Spike Lee's 1983 NYU thesis film, Joe's Bed-Stuy Barbershop: We Cut Heads. They continued their collaboration after school, working together on a series of films: She's Gotta Have It (1986), School Daze (1988), Do the Right Thing (1989) (which earned Dickerson a New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Cinematography), Mo' Better Blues (1990), Jungle Fever (1991) and Malcolm X (1992).
- Segued to directing with 1992's Juice, which he also cowrote.
- Won a Daytime Emmy for the 2002 TV-movie Our America.
- Has directed several rappers in movies, including Tupac Shakur in Juice, Ice-T in Surviving the Game (1994), Snoop Dogg in Bones (2001) and DMX in Never Die Alone (2004).
- Has helmed episode of myriad TV series, including The Wire, ER and Criminal Minds.
- Ernest Dickerson Jr. — Son
- Janet — Daughter
- Annette — Ex-wife
- Traci — Wife
- Howard University, Washington, DC (BA in Architecture); New York University, New York, NY (MA in Film Production)
- Birth Name: Ernest Roscoe Dickerson
- Birth Place: Newark, NJ
- Profession: Director, Cinematographer
Trending TonightSee all »
Get to know the BAU's new agent