With his chiseled features and athletic frame, Mabius made an auspicious film debut as the pretty but vacant object of a tween girl's affection in the 1995 dark comedy Welcome to the Dollhouse
. An immediate underground favorite, he racked up credits in a number of indie films while appearing in TV-movies and guest spots, often portraying rage-filled youths. He raised his profile with a supporting part as a closeted high-school jock in the 1999 teen-oriented hit Cruel Intentions
, and his career continued to gain mainstream momentum as the title character in The Crow: Salvation
. In the 2000s, he made a string of low-rent action and horror flicks, notably the modest hit Resident Evil
, which showcased his physique over his talent. Mabius then turned his attention to the small screen and quickly landed more challenging roles: a lesbian's resentful ex-husband on The L Word
, an unscrupulous high-school dean on The O.C.
, and a star-making turn as Daniel Meade, a spoiled skirt chaser who began to question his empty life on the delightfully campy dramedy Ugly Betty
. His good looks continued to get noticed with this high-profile role, and he made People's Sexiest Men Alive issue in 2006. His turn as a fashion-industry insider on Ugly Betty
also gave him some unusual opportunities, like the chance to be guest editor for a day at Cosmopolitan. However, in real life, Mabius lives a life that is very far from the limelight of Hollywood and very different from that of a metropolitan fashion-magazine editor, preferring to live with his wife and kids in a small Massachusetts town and do carpentry and woodworking when he's not acting.Eric Mabius Fast Facts:
- Moved 12 times during his school years, though spent the majority of his youth in Massachusetts.
- Was a member of the U.S. Junior National Luge Team.
- Met his wife in high school, though they didn't date until years later.
- Studied drama and dance at Sarah Lawrence College.
- Played a groom planning his wedding in the 2006 Lifetime movie A Christmas Wedding at the same time he was helping plan his real-life wedding.
- Was named an honorary team captain of the U.S. Luge Team at the 2010 Winter Olympics.
- Eric Mabius Relationships:
- Rylan Jaxson Mabius - Son
- Maxfield Elliot Mabius - Son
- Craig Mabius - Father
- Ivy Sherman - Wife
- Craig Mabius - Brother
- Elizabeth Mabius - Mother
- Eric Mabius Awards:
- 2006 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series - Nominee
- 2007 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series - Nominee
- Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY