Eric Close kicked off his acting career on a daytime soap before making the leap to prime time. But he initially had no luck at night, starring on a number of short-lived series (Dark Skies
, Now and Again
) that did little to advance his career. All that changed, however, with his high-profile role as a level-headed FBI agent on Without a Trace
from 2002 to 2009. After ending his tenure on the series, Close took on a handful of smaller roles before landing one of the leads in the promising 2010 CBS pilot Chaos
. The show's title proved fitting, however, and, after a months-long dispute between the network and the studio, the pilot was killed. Offscreen, the married father of two eschews the playboy lifestyle and is a devout Christian.Eric Close Fast Facts:
- Born in Staten Island, New York, his family moved several times before finally settling in San Diego in 1975.
- Made his TV debut in 1991 on an episode of MacGyver.
- Received a Soap Opera Digest Award nomination for Outstanding Male Newcomer for his role as Sawyer Walker on Santa Barbara (1992-93).
- Helped found a nonprofit group in Los Angeles that sends underprivileged kids on adventure trips.
- Received a nomination---along with the rest of the ensemble cast---for a Screen Actors Guild Award for Without a Trace.
- Has been known to include Bible quotes when signing autographs.
- Eric Close Relationships:
- Katie Close - Daughter
- Randy Close - Brother
- Keri Close - Wife
- Eva Close - Mother
- Ella Close - Daughter
- Frederick Close - Father
- Christopher Close - Brother
- Eric Close Awards:
- 2003 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series - Nominee
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA (BA in Communications, 1989); attended Instituto Internacional, Madrid, Spain